Here are the inexpensive alternatives for the frugal jet-setter who wants to avoid the cost of expensive taxis and car services.
The NYC on the Cheap list gets you to and from LaGuardia, JFK and Newark Liberty for less.
If you need airport parking, the best deal in town in On Air Parking – just $12 a day at LaGuardia and a super-low $3.50 per day at Newark.
To and from La Guardia Airport
Take the A, B, C, D, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 trains to 125th Street in Harlem, or the 1 to 110th or 116th Sts. and Broadway.
Then, pick up the M60 bus to the airport.
- Travel time: Expect travel time of 40 to 90 minutes, depending on traffic.
- The bus stops at all major terminals and local streets in Queens and Manhattan.
- Total cost: $2.75 one-way with a Metrocard (there are kiosks to purchase a Metrocard at terminal stops).
Take the 7 train to the 82nd. St./Jackson Heights stop and transfer to the Q33 bus to the airport.
- The Q33 stops at the Central, U.S. Airways, and Delta Terminals only.
Take the E, F, G, R or V train to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave. or the 7 train to 74th St.-Broadway and transfer to the Q47 bus.
- The Q47 stops at the Marine Air Terminal only.
Take the 7 train to the 111th Street stop and transfer to the Q48 to the airport.
- Travel time: The bus takes approximately 30 minutes, depending on traffic, and makes local stops along the route.
- Total cost: $2.75 or Metrocard.
NYC Airporter operates a fleet of eco-friendly HYBRID vehicles that are ADA accessible, and provide free Wi-Fi.
Express shuttle busses operate daily from 5:00am to 11:30pm, departing from Grand Central, Penn Station and The Port Authority Bus Terminal every 30 minutes to all the terminals of LaGuardia Airports.
NYC Airporter offers free shuttle van service to Times Square and mid-town hotels between 23rd and 63rd Streets for shuttle bus customers from Grand Central.
The same company also serves JFK Airport.
- Travel time: Approximately 45 minutes, depending on traffic.
- Total cost: $16 for one way, $30 for round trips. Purchase tickets online to save time.
NOTE NYC Airporter has changed its name to NYC Express Service
Until the transition is complete, you may see either logo on shuttle vans and employee uniforms.
Also note that the express bus service operates only 11am to 7pm.
There also are shuttles between the three NYC area airports, between LaGuardia and JFK and between LaGuardia and Newark/EWR.
Licensed NYC taxis, traditional yellow taxis, are available at every LaGuardia terminal.
Depending on traffic, it will cost around $25, plus any tolls and tip, between Midtown, such as Times Square, and LaGuardia.
There is no surprise “surge pricing” with licensed yellow taxis as there is with app-based car services.
You can order a taxi with the NYC taxi app Curb and get a binding, upfront fare quote, estimated time of arrival, and pay through the app
NYC on the Cheap recommends one of these local NYC car services which have been in business for 20+ years with drivers who can find their way around NYC without relying on GPS.
Rates are competitive with the app-based services.