Once again, the screenings are on a gi-normous new 40-foot high-definition LED screen just off Sixth Avenue.
Unlike pre-Pandemic years, when the free outdoor movies were Monday nights in June, July and August, in 2021 the screenings begin Mid-August, twice a week, through mid-September.
This year, movie screenings are August 23 to Sept. 28.
Byrant Park has not yet released the film schedule, which is being curated by Vulture.
We’ll update this with the schedule as soon as it’s available.
In the meantime, here are some films from past seasons which may be shown again:
In 2019, Bryant Park Movie Nights included
- Big, starring Tom Hanks and the late, great, Penny Marshall
- Coming to America, starring Eddie Murphy
- Goodfellas, with Bronx native Joe Pesci
In 2018, Bryant Park Movie Nights included
- The Wiz, which showed us all how to ease on down the road
- When Harry Met Sally, with that iconic scene in Katz’s Delicatessen
Bring a blanket and a picnic, or purchase food and beverages from Bryant Park vendors.
Films are shown starting at sunset, around 8pm, but since this is a pretty popular event, you’ll need to get there much earlier to snag a space on the Bryant Park Lawn or the surrounding terrace, where there is seating.
What you Need to Know for Bryant Park Movie Nights
No chairs, no tables, no plastic tarps and no dogs are permitted on the Lawn.
Entry points for the Lawn Area open at 4pm. The Lawn opens at 5pm, for blankets and picnicking
If you prefer to sit in the park’s Allee’s or on the Upper Terrace to watch the film, then just grab a chair and take your spot.
If you prefer to sit on the Lawn or the gravel surrounding the Lawn, read on.
- You can only access the Lawn Area from the Sixth Avenue side of the park, near the movie screen.
- There are entry points on the north and south sides of the Fountain. Each entrance is the same.
- If you are carrying a bag, backpack, briefcase, package, etc. and wish to sit in the Lawn Area, your items will be inspected at the security tables located at the entry points.
- Lines may form for those with bags and packages.
- If you do not have any bags (or if you are only carrying a blanket), you may access the Lawn Area at either entry point without waiting in the line for those with bags or packages.
- Should you leave the Lawn Area, all packages, bags, etc. will be inspected again upon re-entry. If a line has formed for the entry points, you will be required to wait in line.