Find your perfect holiday tree at a Christmas tree farm in the Hudson Valley or Southern Connecticut.
These cut-your-own farms are within 90 minutes of Times Square.
Several of these family-owned tree farms have been in the same family for generations, and make it a family event with hay rides, hot chocolate, petting zoos, even live reindeer and visits with Santa.
Get your perfect balsam, spruce or Canadian fir here:
Christmas Tree Farms in Dutchess County
26 Bilmar Blvd., Pleasant Valley. 845-635-3206.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Sat.-Sun. 9am-5pm, Mon.-Fri.10am-6pm.
- Pre-cut and cut your own Christmas trees. Free tree baling, twine, saws, and parking.
- Cut-your-own trees up to 10″ are $65, larger trees priced accordingly.
Bilmar Nurseries also operates Fabulous Firs Tree Farm, 702 Vanwagner Rd., Poughkeepsie. 845-590-3337.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.-Fri.12pm-4:30pm, Sat.-Sun. 9am-4:30pm.
- Cut your own Christmas trees, wagon rides, and hayrides.
Rte. 199., Red Hook. 845-758-8018.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.-Sun., 8am-4pm. This farm offers a variety of trees to chooses from.
- There are hand made wreaths and a gift shop located on the farm.
- WARNING – This website opens with loud holiday music.
1697 Salt Point Tpke., Salt Point. 845-266-3680. Cut-your-own trees start at $54, pre-cut trees from $15.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.-Fri.12pm-4:30pm, Sat.-Sun. 9:30am-4:30pm.
- Select a pre-cut Christmas tree or cut your own. This farm is a collection point for Trees for Troops.
435 North Clove Rd., Verbank. 845-677-6395.
- Open weekends, and weekdays by appointment. Pick Christmas trees and drink hot cocoa.
- All trees $55 regardless of size.
Christmas Tree Farms in Orange County
Graney Tree Farm
24 Lang Dr., Pine Bush. 845-361-3022 (no website) .
- Open Sat.Sun., 9am-5pm.
- Pick your own blue spruce trees. Enjoy balsam wreaths.
405 Goodwill Rd., Montgomery. 845-457-3453.
- Open May-Dec.: Mon.-Sat. 9am-6pm, Sun. 9am-4pm.
- Hanging baskets, seasonal fruits and vegetables, U-pick pumpkins and hayrides. Christmas trees.
730 Rte. 211., Montgomery. 845-692-4364.
- Open Nov.-Dec.:8am- 5pm, 7 days a week.
- Picture taking areas, farm animals and real live reindeer, holiday gift items in the Christmas Shop as well as hot drinks, food and baked goods.
325 Kings Hwy., Warwick. 845-986-1345.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.-Thurs. 12pm-7pm, Fri.-Sat.10am-7:30pm, Sun.10am-6:30pm.
- A variety of wreaths, roping, Christmas trees & seasonal decor.
C. Rowe and Sons Farm
113 Station Rd., Campbell Hall. 845-427-2254.
- Open daily 9am-5pm.
- Also locally hand-made fresh garlands and wreaths.
Christmas Tree Farms in Ulster County
2187 Rte. 32., Modena. 845-883-7825.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: 9am-Sunset. Check website for more updates.
- Enjoy hot chocolate, a cut your own trees session, tree drilling, bonfire with smores’ and Santa Claus skydiving.
14 Rte. 299 West., New Paltz. 845-255-8050.
- Open Dec.: 9am-6:30pm, 7 days a week.
- Ready-to-go Christmas trees. Enjoy picking your trees and fresh poinsettias from the green house.
Christmas Tree Farms in Sullivan County
80 Bedell Rd., Poughkeepsie. 845-473-0224.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.–Fri. by appointment 8am-5pm, Sat. walk-ins welcomed 9am-3pm.
- Variety of Christmas trees, fresh decorated wreaths, gift shops, farm animals, and refreshments.
Christmas Tree Farms in Southern Connecticut
606 Walnut Tree Hill Rd, Shelton. 203-929-8425.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: 9am-5:30pm, 7 days a week.
- Pre-cut and cut-your-own Christmas trees. Cut-your-own trees are $75, pre-cut trees are sold by the foot.
- Wine tasting room, Christmas Barnyard with wreaths and garland, holiday gift shop and Harvest Kitchen Christmas Canteen.
2 Sawmill City Road, Shelton. 203-944-9090.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: 9am-5pm, 7 days a week.
- Pre-cut and cut-your-own Christmas trees. Trees up to 9” are $68, larger are +10$ per foot.
- Tractor-drawn hayrides with Santa, firewood, wreaths and ornaments.
5 Hattertown Road, Newtown. 203-426-5487.
- Open weekends 9am-5pm, weekdays by appointment.
- Pre-cut and cut-your-own Christmas trees. Cut-your-own trees start at $60, pre-cut trees start at $50.
- Complimentary hot apple cider and cookies. Handcrafted wreaths, sprays and cemetery blankets.
229 Stepney Road, Easton. 203-261-9577.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: 9am-4:30pm, 7 days a week.
- Pre-cut and cut-your-own Christmas trees. Trees are $73 on weekdays and $79 on weekends.
- Oxen, hayrides, wreaths and other holiday accessories.
This list was published originally in 2015 and is updated annually, including for 2019
I’m also the author of several NYC and Hudson Valley guidebooks, including my latest, 100 Things to Do in NYC Before You Die.