Find your perfect holiday tree at a Christmas tree farm in the Hudson Valley or Southern Connecticut.
These cut-your-own farms are within 90 minutes of Times Square.
Several of these family-owned tree farms have been in the same family for generations, and make it a family event with hay rides, hot chocolate, petting zoos, even live reindeer and visits with Santa.
Be aware that in this Pandemic year, there new rules, including mask-wearing and social distancing requirements.
Some farms are not serving cider and donuts indoors and have dropped hayrides.
One is requiring reservations for weekend visits, and another asks to bring your own saw, if you have one, to reduce wait times while farm-owned saws are disinfected after each use.
Get your perfect balsam, spruce or Canadian fir here:
Christmas Tree Farms in Dutchess County
26 Bilmar Blvd., Pleasant Valley. 845-635-3206.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Sat.-Sun. 9am-5pm, Mon.-Fri.10am-6pm.
- Pre-cut and cut your own Christmas trees. Free tree baling, twine, saws, and parking.
- Cut-your-own trees up to 10″ are $65, larger trees priced accordingly.
Bilmar Nurseries also operates Fabulous Firs Tree Farm, 702 Vanwagner Rd., Poughkeepsie. 845-590-3337.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.-Fri.12pm-4:30pm, Sat.-Sun. 9am-4:30pm.
- Cut your own Christmas trees, wagon rides, and hayrides.
Rte. 199., Red Hook. 845-758-8018.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.-Sun., 8am-4pm. This farm offers a variety of trees to chooses from.
- Trees are $75, and handmade wreaths are $45.
- There are hand made wreaths and a gift shop located on the farm.
- Covid-19 rules include no tailgating.
1697 Salt Point Tpke., Salt Point. 845-266-3680.
- Cut-your-own trees start at $54, pre-cut trees from $15.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.-Fri.12pm-4:30pm, Sat.-Sun. 9:30am-4:30pm.
- Select a pre-cut Christmas tree or cut your own. This farm is a collection point for Trees for Troops.
435 North Clove Rd., Verbank. 845-677-6395.
- Open weekends, and weekdays by appointment. Pick Christmas trees and drink hot cocoa.
- All trees are $65 regardless of size.
- If you have a hand saw that you could bring this year, it may help reduce wait times for saws as we will be disinfecting them after each use.
- Masks will be required to enter the buildings and any time that social distancing of 6 feet or more cannot be maintained.
- Only one family member enter the sales barn at a time.
- There will be no inside seating or tables.
435 North Clove Rd., Verbank. 845-677-6395.
Christmas Tree Farms in Orange County
Graney Tree Farm
24 Lang Dr., Pine Bush. 845-361-3022 (no website) .
- Open Sat.Sun., 9am-5pm.
- Pick your own blue spruce trees. Enjoy balsam wreaths.
405 Goodwill Rd., Montgomery. 845-457-3453.
- Open May-Dec.: Mon.-Sat. 9am-6pm, Sun. 9am-4pm.
- Hanging baskets, seasonal fruits and vegetables, U-pick pumpkins and hayrides. Christmas trees.
730 Rte. 211., Montgomery. 845-692-4364.
- Open Mon.-Thurs. 10am-5pm, Fri.-Sun., 10am-6pm
- Selection of freshly cut Douglas, Fraser and Turkish Fir trees from $35.
- Also Living Spruce and Fir trees ready to plant after the holidays, and a variety of wreaths and roping. and table pieces.
- Cut your own Norway Spruce trees 7-8 ft. tall $60 per tree.
- Christmas display includes a Nativity Scene and other picture taking areas. Farm animals including 2 Mini Donkeys, 2 Goats and 3 Little Pigs . .
- Holiday gift items as well as hot drinks, food and baked goods . Our freshly cut trees including extra large trees up to 12ft.tall which are all priced from $35 and up .
- Santa is here walking around on the weekends starting through December 20th from 11-4, and gives FREE coloring books and candy canes to each child
325 Kings Hwy., Warwick. 845-986-1345.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.-Thurs. 12pm-7pm, Fri.-Sat.10am-7:30pm, Sun.10am-6:30pm.
- A variety of wreaths, roping, Christmas trees & seasonal decor.
C. Rowe and Sons Farm
113 Station Rd., Campbell Hall. 845-427-2254.
- Open daily 9am-5pm.
- Also locally hand-made fresh garlands and wreaths.
Christmas Tree Farms in Ulster County
2187 Rte. 32., Modena. 845-883-7825.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: 9am-Sunset.
- Enjoy hot chocolate, a cut your own trees session, tree drilling, bonfire with smores’
- There is no Santa Claus skydiving
- There is NO Hayride out to the Tree Patches, instead guests will drive out and park near the patch of their choice.
- If you have a truck, you can bring your tree right back to be bailed. If you have a car, the tree you cut can ride in our new bin train back to the bailing station.
- The Winter Store is Online, for pick-up at the Drive Thru Farm Store, including Susan’s Wreaths
- There is no Trees for Troops this year, but Hurd’s will be offering a $5 off military discount.
14 Rte. 299 West., New Paltz. 845-255-8050.
- Open Dec.: 9am-6:30pm, 7 days a week.
- Ready-to-go Christmas trees. Enjoy picking your trees and fresh poinsettias from the green house.
Christmas Tree Farms in Sullivan County
80 Bedell Rd., Poughkeepsie. 845-473-0224.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: Mon.–Fri. by appointment 8am-5pm, Sat. walk-ins welcomed 9am-3pm.
- Variety of Christmas trees, fresh decorated wreaths, gift shops, farm animals, and refreshments.
Christmas Tree Farms in Southern Connecticut
606 Walnut Tree Hill Rd, Shelton. 203-929-8425.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: 9am-5:30pm, 7 days a week.
- Pre-cut and cut-your-own Christmas trees. Cut-your-own trees are $75, pre-cut trees are sold by the foot.
- Wine tasting room, Christmas Barnyard with wreaths and garland, holiday gift shop and Harvest Kitchen Christmas Canteen, and Candy Cane Lane for the kids.
- Reservations required for both Harvest Your Own Trees and Fresh Cut Trees only on weekends through Dec 13.
- You need to arrive by 4pm to harvest your own tree.
- Reservations will not be needed on weekdays for harvest your own or fresh cut trees.
- . We will open up Candy Cane Hill on weekday afternoons especially in early December. You need to arrive by 4 pm to harvest your own tree.
- On the busy weekends through Dec 13, we will charge $20 for cars to enter our parking areas that are not getting a tree. (If you are getting a tree, there is no car charge.) Due to limited capacity on these weekends, we want families to carpool within their household, please.
- Guests are required to wear masks throughout their visit, even in the tree fields. Anyone not interested in wearing their mask over their mouth and nose for their visit should not visit this year.
- We ask guests to visit with members of their household.
- To limit congregating, there can be no gathering of guests at cars beyond their own immediate family, having a sandwich and snack at their car after harvesting a tree.
- Jones continues its long-standing policy of no alcohol consumption anywhere on the farm as well as no smoking.
- Out of state guests traveling from CT’s travel advisory states, must adhere to quarantine restrictions, no exceptions.
2 Sawmill City Road, Shelton. 203-944-9090.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: 9am-5pm, 7 days a week.
- Pre-cut and cut-your-own Christmas trees, $75 and up.
- All visitors will have their temperature read before entering attractions. Any temperature reading above 100.4° will NOT be able to enter the attraction.
- All visitors are REQUIRED to wear a face mask at all times while on the property.
- Groups must practice safe social distancing around others in populated areas.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be provided in various areas around the property.
5 Hattertown Road, Newtown. 203-426-5487.
- Open weekends 9:30am-5pm, weekdays by appointment.
- Pre-cut and cut-your-own Christmas trees. Cut-your-own trees start at $60, pre-cut trees start at $50.
- Complimentary hot apple cider and cookies.
- Handcrafted wreaths, sprays are $14-$38
- Dogs permitted if on a leash, well behaved, and cleaned up after.
- Hot Cider and Cookies will not be available on the weekends
229 Stepney Road, Easton. 203-261-9577.
- Open Nov.-Dec.: 9am-4:30pm, 7 days a week.
- Pre-cut and cut-your-own Christmas trees. Trees are $79 on weekdays and $87 on weekends.
- Oxen, hayrides, wreaths and other holiday accessories.
- Face coverings and social distancing required.
- Tailgaiting is permitted as reasonable and within the states guidelines for group sizes and gatherings.
- Please bring your own hand sanitizer as winter temperatures will make supplying it a difficult task.
This list was published originally in 2015 and is updated annually, including for 2020
I’m also the author of several NYC and Hudson Valley guidebooks, including my latest, 100 Things to Do in NYC Before You Die.