This year’s entertainers include The Village People, LL Cool J, Alanis Morissette, BTS and performers from hit Broadway musicals.
Here’s your complete guide, including the minute-to-minute entertainment schedule to ring out 2019 and ring in 2020.
Temperatures on New Year’s Eve are expected to be in the upper-30s, with windchill in the low 30s. Dress accordingly, in multiple layers, to avoid getting chilled from standing in one spot for several hours.
There is unprecedented security this year – in an abundance of caution – with hundreds of armed officers and undercover police strategically positioned in and around Times Square accounting for potential terror threats as well as mass shooting attempts like the one on a Las Vegas concert in October.
- Backpacks, large bags and umbrellas are banned.
- There are 12 access points for spectators to come in.
- Each one will have vaperweight dogs assigned there, and there will be heavy weapons teams.
- Once you go through there, you will proceed to the pens, and screened a second time before you are allowed to enter the pens.
- There will be heavy weapons teams, observation teams with anti-sniper capabilities, and and dogs are assigned throughout the entire viewing area.
- Once you are inside a pen, if you may leave for any reason, you will not be allowed back in.
Times Square area Street closings
- NYPD begins closing down access to Times Square starting at 43rd Street and Broadway, and moving north as revelers arrive. The exact times these blocks close to pedestrian and vehicular traffic depends on when the revelers begin arriving.
- Vehicles will most likely have difficulty traveling across town after 3:00 p.m. or earlier above 42nd Street and as far north as 59th Street.
- If you are planning to come to Times Square and join in the festivities, you are advised to enter from Sixth or Eighth Avenue.
- Your chance of getting a viewing spot near the Ball increases the earlier you arrive. The blocks will be closed off as they fill up northward, street-by-street, as the police deem necessary.
- Note that there are no bathroom facilities inside the cordoned area. If you leave your spot for any reason, you forfeit your spot; NYPD will not let you back in.
- Scam alert: Avoid buying so-called All-Access passes, or Multiple Venue passes These are most likely bogus counterfeit worthless passes which will not be honored by the NYPD.
- For 114 years, Times Square has been the center of worldwide attention on New Year’s Eve, ever since the owners of One Times Square began in 1904 to conduct rooftop celebrations to greet the New Year.
- The first Ball Lowering celebration was in 1907, and the tradition is now a universal symbol of welcoming the New Year.
- The lighted Ball descends 70 feet in sixty seconds.
- The Ball is a geodesic sphere, twelve feet in diameter, weighing 11,875 pounds.
- The Ball is covered with 2,688 Waterford crystal triangles and lit by 32,256 Philips Luxeon Rebel LEDs.
Minute to minute entertainment schedule
for performers including
The Village People, LL Cool J, Alanis Morissette, BTS
and performers from hit Broadway musicals
on next page