Take the subway to the Himalayas next Sunday, July 17, for the annual Rubin Museum Block Party 2016, with FREE music and dance performances from the Himalayas and FREE museum admission all day.
The Rubin Museum Block Party 2016 is inspired by the current exhibition Nepalese Seasons: Rain and Ritual. Family-friendly activities and performances celebrate Nepal’s festivals, nature, and culture with connections to the art and ideas of the region. The block party is 1PM to 5PM.
- Art activities inspired by Nepal’s seasonal festivals and monsoon rituals; make rainsticks, frog masks, pinwheels, hybrid animals, prayer flags, flower garlands, and more
- Nepalese-inspired music and dance performances by artists including Dikyi, Brooklyn Raga Massive, Sonam Rinzin, and Kabina Maharjan Singh
- Educational activities led by Adhikaar, Grassroots Movement in Nepal, KathaSatha, Yulha Fund, Mero Gaon, Walung Community of North America, and other Himalayan cultural groups, including traditional Nepali dress demonstrations
- Family yoga instruction by Susan Verde
- Museum tours and gallery searches for families
- Henna tattoos
Refreshments available for purchase:
- Himalayan street food, including samosas, chutney sandwiches, and fruit lassis, from Café Serai
- Artisanal ice cream from Van Leeuwen
You’ll get good karma at The Rubin Museum, 150 West 17th St. in Chelsea.