If you were lucky enough to get a new Android phone or iPad for the holidays, don’t throw out the smartphone, desktop or laptop it’s replacing — recycle it and keep it out of NYC landfills. The Lower East Side Ecology Center is hosting FREE electronics recycling events each weekend in January, all over the city. Just bring your unwanted or broken gear and gadgets and let the experts dispose of them properly. All the drop-offs are 10 AM to 4 PM, for electronics only, not kitchen appliances like microwave ovens, and air conditioners are not accepted, either. There’s also special discounts for Zipcar members who need a vehicle to transport heavy computers. Click here for more information about the Lower East Side Ecology Center programs.
Saturday, January 14, 2012
- Brooklyn — McCarren Park, Bedford Avenue just north of North 12th Street
- Manhattan — Carl Schurz Park, East 86th Street and East End Avenue, Upper East Side
Sunday, January 15, 2012, 10 AM to 4 PM
- Brooklyn — Prospect Park West and 3rd Street, Brooklyn, NY 11215
There also are recycling drop-offs next weekend, Jan 21/22, and the following weekend, Jan 28/29. Click the link on the next line for those locations.
Electronics recycling locations for the last two weekends of January —
Saturday, January 21, 2012
- Manhattan — Tekserve, 119 West 23rd Street
Sunday, January 22, 2012
- Manhattan — Central Park, Central Park North and Lenox Avenue, Harlem
- Manhattan — West 63rd Street between Broadway and Central Park West, Upper West Side
Saturday, January 28, 2012
- Manhattan — Ring Garden, Riverside Drive between Dyckman Street and Seaman Avenue, Inwood
- Bronx — Brook Park, Brook Avenue between East 141st and East 140th Streets