Photoville NYC, the annual FREE photography festival returns to Brooklyn Bridge Park next week, with photos and mixed-media works by hundreds of 600 visual artists, plus dozens of seminars and and workshops, outdoor projection shows and more.
The 8th annual Photoville installation is Sept. 12-22 in Brooklyn Bridge Park, with nearly 100 exhibitions housed in and around a collection of 50+ repurposed shipping containers. There’s also an outdoor beer garden.
Exhibits are either a central theme or a specific photographer or three.
Some exhibits are presented in partnership with National Geographic, the New York Times, Magnum Foundation of top photorgraphers, and the International Rescue Committee.
Photoville FREE exhibits include:
- Women and spirituality,
- Photos from space, including views of New York City from space,
- How the media has covered the opoid overdose crisis.
- Of Love and War, a retrospective from award-winning U.S. photojournalist Lynsey Addario, who has covered humanitarian conflicts from Syria to Darfur
- How We See Ourselves, which depicts Indigenous life through a selection of works by Indigenous photographers, presented by Natives Photograph collective.
- A New York Times exhibition titled #thisis18, which captures what life looks like for 18-year-old girls around the world using images shot by young women age 17 to 22
- Click here for a full list of exhibits and their descriptions.
Photoville FREE talks and workshops include
- Meeting the women behind #ThisIs18, a New York Times photography project exploring girlhood around the world
- A cameraphone workshop, sponsored by Adobe
- Nearly a dozen photo walks with top photographers, sponsored by Leica
- Click here for a full list of talks and workshops and their descriptions
Photoville will be located in Brooklyn Bridge Plaza, on the corners of Water Street and New Dock Street.
It is directly underneath the Brooklyn Bridge in DUMBO and bordered by Jane’s Carousel and St. Ann’s Warehouse.
Please note that the exhibitions will close 30 minutes before the official closing of the village each evening.
We ask every visitor to be mindful of noise and our neighbors when leaving the event late at night.
Photoville hours of operation
Thursday September 12: Photoville OPENS FREE to the Public – 4pm – 10pm
Friday September 13: Opens 4pm – 10pm + Exhibitions, Talks, workshops, night time events
Saturday September 14: Opens 12pm – 10pm + Exhibitions, Talks, workshops, night time events
Sunday September 15: Opens 12pm – 8pm + Exhibitions, Talks, workshops, night time events
- September 16 – 18: Photoville takes a nap (closed to the public)
Thursday September 19: Opens 4pm – 10pm + Photoville Education Day (to register your students go to the education page!)
Friday September 20: Opens 4pm – 10pm + Exhibitions opened with Night Time events
Saturday September 21: Opens 12pm – 10pm + Exhibitions, workshops, night time events
Sunday September 22: Opens 12pm – 8pm + Exhibitions, workshops, night time events
Check the Photoville website for the full schedule of events and exhibit descriptions. All events are FREE, although some require registration to ensure space.
Follow NYC on the Cheap and like us on Facebook
Follow NYC on the Cheap and like us on Twitter @nyccheap
Follow NYC on the Cheap on Pinterest
Subscribe to the NYC on the Cheap daily email newsletter