The outdoor season is in full swing – literally – with FREE swing dancing, salsa, disco, cumbia and folk dancing to live bands in Bryant Park. There’s a different style of dance, and a different band, and FREE lessons, each Wednesday for five weeks, starting this week, plus a special Latin Festival on a Friday evening.
The dancing is at the Fountain Terrace, at the Sixth Avenue side of Bryant Park, starting at 6pm, except for the final Latin Festival, which starts at 5pm.
Grab a partner and dance. Or, grab a seat to just listen to the music and watch the dancers. But it’s a lot more fun to dance than watch.
Note that you will be dancing on uneven flagstone, so women should wear flat shoes or low heels, not your favorite or expensive stilettos.
Here’s the schedule:
- May 3, 6pm: Swing with George Gee Swing Orchestra
- May 10, 6pm: Salsa with Williamsburg Salsa Orchestra
- May 17, 6pm: Polka with The Polka Brothers
- May 24, 6pm: Cumbia with cumbia de LaMar
- May 31, 6pm: Disco with Deverne and The Vintagesoul featuring Carol Williams
- June 7, 6pm: Mexican with Jarana Beat
The final outdoor dance event in Bryant Park event is Friday, June 9 at 5pm: Latin Festival with Bachata, Merengue, and Salsa with Melvin Elias, Willie Alvarez and his All Star Band featuring Ray Bayona
The Bryant Park Dance Party is once again hosted and produced by Talia Castro-Pozo.
See you on the dance floor!