The newest hotel at JFK will be at the iconic TWA Flight Center. An ambitious plan will transform the landmark 1960s Eero Saarinen–designed building into a LEED-certified hotel able to generate its own power via a microgrid energy-management system.
TWA Flight Center Hotel also would be the airport’s only on-site hotel complex.
Plans are to build two six-story towers with 505 guest rooms, 40,000 square feet of event space, restaurants, a spa and a 10,000 square foot observation deck. The twin towers will be set back from the building to preserve its historic entrance.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will spend $20 million to preserve the original concourse, which NYC designated as a historic landmark in 1994, and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It will cost the Port Authority another $8 million to connect the hotel to JetBlue’s nearby terminal.
JetBlue used the TWA terminal briefly recently as additional waiting room area for passengers, but not for gates for flights, since the TWA terminal is not built for today’s airplanes or the technology that goes with them.
The $265 million project will be developed by a partnership between JetBlue and MCR Development. The developer will own 95 percent of the hotel, and the airline will own the remaining 5 percent.
photos courtesy MCR Development and Business Insider