Burger & Lobster
The main menu items here are just three things: lobster, lobster rolls and burgers, plus an extensive micro-beer and wine list.
Burgers and various lobster rolls are around $20. The rolls are stuffed to the brim with meaty chunks, and the burger is prime hand-cut Nebraska beef that my German butcher father would approve of.
The $26 lobster is a generous one-pound-plus, or you can trade-up to one of the super-sized lobsters.
Whatever order is served along with a hefty helping of fries and a salad. There’s also a generous beer and wine menu to accompany your lunch or dinner.
- The original location in Flatiiron, at 39 W. 19th St., remains open but Burger & Lobster has closed its Times Square location, at 132 W. 43rd St.
- Link to the PDF menu
City Island Lobster House
Famous for its enormous menu of fish seafood dishes, its fresh-caught selections and waterfront views.
Choose your lobster size, starting at 1 1/4 pounds for $29.95, steamed or broiled, adding crabmeat for another $9.95.
The Lobster and Clam Bake Special at $29.95 is a best buy. It includes a steamed Maine Lobster, baked clams, clam chowder and homemade ice cream roll for dessert.
- Open year-round at 691 Bridge Street, City Island, 718-885-1459; cilobsterhouse.com
- The outdoor deck does not accept reservations.
- Link to the PDF menu
Ed’s Lobster Bar
Lobster rolls are stuffed to the brim with chucks of claw meat, but it’s up to you to decide whether that’s worth the pricetag. But, then, everything around the popular High Line is extra pricey these days.
Warning – Ed’s used to charge $30, but we don’t know if that’s still the case, since Ed’s no longer includes prices on their website. Actually, there’s no menu at all on their website.
- Ed’s Lobster Bar is at 222 Lafayette St. in the Gansevoort Market.
Greenpoint Fish & Lobster Co.
This was is a combo fish market and restaurant/raw bar. Was. The eat-in part has closed since we published this guide in 2019, and the market no longer offers even such prepared foods as lobster rolls.
But fresh, sustainable, ethically caught fish and seafood continues to be its main mission and continues to be sold. It is some of the best and freshest fish in town, which is why the wholesale division supplies many top NYC restaurants with the freshest catch for their menus.
- 114 Nassau Avenue, Greenpoint, 718-349-0400, greenpointfish.com
- Delivery is via Mercato, and the website is smart enough to list which zipcodes are included for delivery.
Joe’s Lobster House
With two locations on Staten Island, this seafood-centric restaurant serves up whole lobsters steamed or boiled, lobster tails, and even stuffed lobsters. Prices start at $24.95.
The Lobster Dinner is served simply with lemon and plenty of butter. Add crab meat and bread crumbs stuffing for an extra $5.99. Lobster rolls are $16.95.
- 1898 Hylan Boulevard, 718-667-0003 and 4707 Arthur Kill Road, 718-227-0003, lobsterhousesi.com
Locations in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, and Rockaway Beach, Queens, serve up lobster a dozen ways, including for brunch as lobster huevos rancheros, even lobster mac ‘n’ cheese.
Choose the classic clambake with corn ($31.95), warm Connecticut-style lobster roll or traditional New England style ($19).
- There’s a more limited menu at the food truck. Lobster Joint website.
- Currently open for take-out and delivery only.
- Locations are 103 N. Third St., Williamsburg and 1073 Manhattan Ave., Greenpoint.
Now a mini-chain with several locations around town, Luke’s prides itself on sustainable seafood practices. Maybe that’s why their lobster rolls taste so good. Or maybe its their proprietary secret seasoning. Or both.
Several Luke’s Lobster shacks have re-opened for take-out and delivery, including Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Union Square, Midtown East and FiDi shacks in NYC , Rittenhouse in Philly, Back Bay in Boston, Penn Quarter in DC, SoMa in San Francisco, Brickell City Centre in Miami, Bethesda and Las Vegas and Portland Pier in Maine, for takeout and delivery.
Customers are required to wear masks when picking up orders.
Their rolls ($17 regular size, $23 jumbo) include both butter and mayo, and they’ve recently added lobster tails to the menu, served cold with lemon butter dipping.
North River Lobster Co.
Lobster rolls, lobster tacos ($23.95 each) and more at the only floating lobster house in NYC, operated by Circle Line. There’s also a full, traditional steamed lobster dinner, at $42.
Both prices are the same as in 2019, thank you very much.
Take your pick of eating on the top deck when the boat is moored, or during a dinner cruise in warm weather season. Our vote goes to the top deck, especially at sunset.
- North River Lobster Co. at Pier 81, and is operated by Circle Line. It a perfect destination before or after a Circle Line cruise or a visit to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum.
Red Hook Lobster Pound
Lobster rolls start at $26, depending on additions such as bacon, served with house-made mayo.
The main location, in Red Hook, Brooklyn, is the only place where a full lobster dinner is served. Live lobster is priced at market rate.
- Locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn plus food trucks and stalls at Smorgasburg and Brooklyn Flea on weekends.
- The Red Hook location is open for outdoor dining.
- The 230 Park Ave. location, near Grand Central Terminal, is currently closed.
Steak ‘n’ Lobster
The successful Burger & Lobster concept has generated a copycat with a similar menu and similar pricing, although this offers a Japanese flair with a menu including signature Kogi Steak served with sweet miso and “Piri-Kara” Lobster dressed in an Oriental hot sauce. Serves only 100% traceable and sustainable Maine lobsters.
Lobster and lobster rolls are $20, including a spicy version. Or, go for lobster mac and cheese.
- Steak ‘n’ Lobster (which likes to be called SNL) is at 129 West 29th St. in Chelsea.
- Link to menu PDF
At this Japanese restaurant in Chelsea, where you can actually fish for your lobster dinner from one of three tanks, then tell the chef how you want it prepared. There’s also an extensive sushi menu, but lobster is not on it.
- Zauo is at 152 West 24th Street
Also – the national Red Lobster chain is offering a special –
This article was posted originally in 2016 and is updated twice a year, in June for Lobster Day celebrated by some restaurants, and in September for the official National Lobster Day, including prices and additional restaurants.
There have been many changes since we published this in Sept. 2019, due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.