The cost of a ride on a NYC subways and buses go up this weekend, and there are price increases on commuter railroads, too. The price hikes go into effect at midnight Saturday, April 20. It’s a long list of what is changing and what isn’t.
The $2.75 per ride stays the same, but there are other changes, including the end of the 5% bonus for purchasing multiple rides.
Here’s what you need to know – subways and buses first, then commuter railroads.
Base fare, single ride, express fare and bonus
Base Fare: No change in $2.75 base fare for coin on bus and Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard.
Single Ride Ticket: No change in $3.00 Single Ride ticket.
Express Bus Fare: Increases to $6.75. Payment by coin on Express Bus is eliminated
Senior Citizen/Disabled/Student Reduced Fare/Paratransit Zero Fare discount policies: Unchanged
Paratransit Services: Unchanged, remaining the same amount as the Base Fare, $2.75.
Unlimited Ride MetroCard
7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard: Increase from $32 to $33
7-Day Express Bus Plus Unlimited Ride MetroCard: Increase from $59.50 to $62.00
30-Day and Calendar Monthly Unlimited Ride MetroCard: Increase from $121 to $127
The NYC subway system opened in 1904, and the fare was one nickel.
Here’s a great recap on the history of subway fare hikes, with some wonderful historic photos, published in the NY Times.
Weekly passes less than $147 and monthly passes less than $460
- These passes increase in price by least 3.85%.
- However, the price of weekly passes is not increasing by more than $5.75, and the price of monthly passes is not increasing by more than $15.
Monthly tickets at or above $460 and weekly tickets at or above $147
- There is no price increase for these passes.
One way tickets
- One-way fares into New York City: Increases range from 0% to 8.00%.
- Other ticket types (intermediates, half fares and other discounted tickets): Varying increases up to 10%
- No fare increases on Metro-North Railroad Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines
UniTicket and One-Way connecting fares
- Weekly UniTicket connecting fares for Hudson Rail Link: increasing by 50¢
- Monthly UniTicket connecting fares for Hudson Rail Link: increasing by $1.50
- Weekly UniTicket connecting fares for local NYC bus service (NYCT and MTA Bus): Increasing by $25.00
- Monthly UniTicket connecting fares for local NYC bus service (NYCT and MTA Bus): Increasing by $2.00
The MTA also raised tolls on bridges and tunnels on March 31, 2019. Here is the updated cost for each, with and without EZ Pass.