April 15th will be here before you know it. Get FREE tax preparation and filing help at branches of the NY Public Library. AARP and the Food Bank for New York City are providing free IRS tax prep assistance at SIBL, the Science, Industry and Business Library, during the 2015 tax filing season.
AARP volunteers trained by the IRS are at the SIBL Library every Tuesday and Wednesday through April 13, 2016.
Food Bank for New York City tax assistants will help you prepare and file your tax return electronically.
The free tax assistance is 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., first come, first served – there are no appointments. Most returns are filed electronically (e-filed), also FREE.
The free tax prep service is open to anybody, whether or not you are 50+ and eligible for AARP membership.
SIBL is at 188 Madison Ave., between 34th and 35th Streets.
Other NYPL branches also are offering free tax prep and filing help:
Please bring the following with you when you come:
- current year’s tax forms and preparation booklet;
- copy of last years income tax return(s);
- W-2 forms from each employer;
- unemployment compensation statement(s);
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits;
- all 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets;
- 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income;
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity;
- all forms indicating federal income tax paid;
- dependent care provider information )name, employer, ID, Social Security number);
- all receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions;
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents.
- First come, first served
- Organize your materials
- Bring all your documents