Every Friday through April 11, 2014, get FREE tax preparation at three Manhattan branches of the NY Public Library, by AARP volunteers certified by the IRS. The free tax assistance is 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., first come, first served – there are no appointments. Most returns are filed electronically (e-filed), also FREE.
The free tax prep service is open to anybody, whether or not you are 50+ and eligible for AARP membership. The three NYPL branches are George Bruce in Harlem, 67th St. in Lincoln Center, and Muhlenberg in Midtown.
Please bring the following with you when you come:
- current year’s tax forms and preparation booklet;
- copy of last years income tax return(s);
- W-2 forms from each employer;
- unemployment compensation statement(s);
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits;
- all 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets;
- 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income;
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity;
- all forms indicating federal income tax paid;
- dependent care provider information )name, employer, ID, Social Security number);
- all receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions;
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents.
- First come, first served
- Organize your materials
- Bring all your documents