Now in its third year, the Olde Time Coney Island Strongman Spectacular is the first large free-public event in Coney Island this season. Not since Coney Island’s golden years have giants such as these performed at the legendary amusement district. The event is part of Coney Island’s 2013 summer campaign #ConeyComeback. All fans attending the event, and visiting throughout the summer, are encouraged to tag their photos, posts and tweets with #ConeyComeback, and join in on the celebration of the many exciting happenings and unique occurrences that make Coney Island “America’s Playground”.
The display of unbelievable feats of strength is at 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Some events are in front of Coney Island Bumper Cars and Arcade at 1126 Surf Avenue, others are at the Main State on 12th Street between Surf Avenue and the Boardwalk. The event is sponsored by the Alliance for Coney Island.
Here’s the names and backgronds of some of the strongmen participating –
- Chris ‘Hairculese’ Rider (PA). – Chris has been declared “one of the strongest men on this planet” by strength historians. He is a master of hair feats. You’ll be amazed as he bends steel using the hairs on his head!
- Chris ‘Wonder’ Schoeck (NY). – Pound for pound he is bending some of the toughest steel bars in the 26-30″ range. The documentary ‘Bending Steel’ about Chris’ quest to become a strongman made its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival last month.
- Sonny ‘The Man of Steel’ Barry (NJ) – Sonny is in his mid 60’s and is the best at turning bottle caps inside out with his thumb, and if that doesn’t get you, he has the ability to break upwards of 3 pieces of stacked 2 by 12 construction lumber with NO spacers using only his fist.
- Steve ‘Crusher’ Wiener (NY) – Steve is a master of combination feats such as holding a fire hydrant from his head while levering two sledge hammers crucifix style.
- Stanley ‘Stanless Steel’ Pleskun (NJ) – Stan is the only man that can bend a US quarter with his fingers. Most recently, he was featured in a full length documentary about his life as a strongman.
- Mike Gillette (NV) – Mike has been an Army Paratrooper, SWAT Commander, Member of the Martial Arts Masters Hall of Fame and bodyguard to Bill Gates and Sylvester Stallone. This past February one of his signature ‘Iron Body’ feats was featured in Ripley’s Believe it or Not.
- John ‘Hammerhead’ Ferraro (MA) – John possesses one of the strongest skulls on the planet. This two-time Guinness world record holder has been seen on CMT, Discovery Channel, TRU TV and the History Channel. John’s noggin’ knockin’ brain bashing feats will leave you with a headache!
- John ‘Ironman’ McGrath (Capetown, South Africa) – At a towering 6’6” and 275 pounds, John is one of the greatest steel bar benders in the entire world. He’s making the trip from around the world just to perform at the Olde Time Strongman Spectacular.
- Tommy Heslep (VA) – Tommy’s crushing grip has been certified as one of the strongest in the world. Most recently he appeared on the NBC show American Ninja Warrior.
- Cardone (NY) – Cardone is the only man on record to perform the death defying Houdini Milk Can escape on the shores of Coney Island. Not even Houdini performed it there. He will attempt to escape once again this year.
- Adam RealMan (NY) – Adam is a true Coney Island character. He is a frequent performer at Sideshows by the Seashore, produces many of Coney Island USA’s special events and has a successful touring troupe, the New York Variety All-Stars. Adam will serve as master of ceremonies bringing his own brand of loquacious zaniness to the event.
- Additional special guests include the 91 year old Mike Greenstein, son of the legendary strongman ‘The Mighty Atom’ and septuagenarian, Slim ‘The HammerMan’ Farman who was the protégée of the Mighty Atom.