How do I love thee? Let me count the ways — FREE ways, that is, to celebrate Valentine’s Day in New York City.
- Renew your vows in Times Square — There’s a giant love-in at the Crossroads of the World on Valentine’s Day. Join the crowd on the Red Steps.
- Take a selfie at the annual Heart Display in Times Square – This year’s theme is how immigrants have helped shape the creativity and economy of New YorkCity.
- Brooklyn Promenade at sunset — The view across the East River to lower Manhattan is spectacular any time of day, but especially at sunset, when the glass-covered buildings glow with a romantic pink-orange light.
- Staten Island Ferry — My choice would be after dark, when the Statue of Liberty is bathed in light, and the Manhattan skyline twinkles happily in the distance
- CitiPond at Bryant Park — Why pay to go ice skating at Rockefeller Center or Wollman Rink in Central Park, when this skating rink steps from Times Square is free.
- Central Park Bow Bridge – Stroll across what is arguably the most romantic spot in the city, the Venice-style Bow Bridge, which just happens to be the cover photo of my Peaceful Places New York City guidebook.