After a couple of days to change redecorate Damrosch Park, there’s a three-week festival of FREE concerts, FREE dance performances, FREE theater and more FREE events throughout the Lincoln Center campus.
Lincoln Center Out of Doors is July 24 to August 11.
With more tan 50 events, we can’t list them all, but here are some highlights:
- Soul at the Center, featuring Legacy: Lalah Hathaway sings Donny Hathaway. Also on the bill for evening are The Illustrious Blacks.
- Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy
- An exhilarating evening of dance with Bessie Award–winning jazz, tap, and swing wunderkind Caleb Teicher
- Screening of the Bob Fosse–directed concert film Liza with a “Z”
- The third installation of NPR Music’s popular series Turning the Tables Live: The Motherlode.
- Eight iconic female artists whose work shaped the path of popular music will be celebrated with performances from Rhiannon Giddens, Xiomara Laugart, Ledisi, Amina Claudine Myers, Cleo Reed, Valerie Simpson, Charenée Wade, and Lizz Wright
- An evening of stand-up comedy with Comedy Central’s Roy Wood Jr. & Guests
- desi:NOW a night featuring genre-bending creatives defining modern South Asian-American identity through the arts
- Singer songwriter and Americana stalwart Patty Griffin, joined by Yola, fresh off her Dan Auerbach–produced record, Walk Through Fire
FREE lunchtime entertainment returns to Lincoln Square for the 12th year, with a local musicians performing everything from jazz to Andean music to rock to opera.
The series is every Wednesday, rain or shine, July 3 to August 28, in Richard Tucker Park, Broadway at 66th St. One group plays at noon each Wednesday, another at 1pm, and there is bistro-style seating to sit and enjoy the music. In between performances, music lovers can stretch and relax with free and gentle restorative yoga sessions by instructors from the West Side Y—a great way to relax during lunch. Whole Foods Market will sponsor free product samples during each performance.
Here is the schedule for July. We’ll have the August schedule for you at the end of July.
July 17: Music of South America
Noon to 1pm – RAICES GROUP (Andean and Native music)
1pm to 2pm – Parada Vallenata (Columbian Vallenata music)
July 24: Rock ‘n’ Roll
Noon to 1pm – Jake Kulak & the Low Down (blues & rock trio)
1pm to 2pm -Felipe Pavani Band (rock standards)
July 31: Cajun and Gypsy
Noon to 1pm – The Catahoula Cajun Band (Cajun music)
1pm to 2pm – SisterMonk (gypsy, trance, percussion diva dance)
This FREE music and dance event returns with Friday night concerts in July and August by NYC artists, and the chance to dance to the music. Bring a blanket and a picnic and also enjoy cool breezes and the sunset.
Music is 7pm to 9pm, at Pier 45 at Christopher Street In Greenwich Village
- JULY 19 – Manhattan Samba
- JULY 26 – High & Mighty Brass Band
- AUGUST 2 – The Hum
- AUGUST 9 – Koku Gonza
- AUGUST 16 – Manhattan Samba
- AUGUST 23 – High & Mighty Brass Band
Enjoy introductory Argentine Tango lessons, music, and dancing in the open air.
Live music and dancers July 25. No class July 4.
- FREE on Thursdays in July, 6:30pm – 8:30pm
- Fishing Pier at 125th & Marginal St.