Cheap is good. FREE is better. There always are great FREE things to do in New York City, and this Presidents Week holiday week is no different. Here are five FREE family- friendly exhibits, lectures and other events to enjoy today through Friday:
Learn about alternative press and the fight against #alternativefacts at a FREE exhibit Protests in Print at the main branch of the New York Public Library. The exhibit, from the library’s extensive files, shows us how such publications and art play a vital role in sharing information not included in mainstream publications. The exhibit traces alternative press from its beginnings in the 1800s through more recent works, including pieces documenting the Occupy movement and other social justice issues, demonstrating how alternative press continues to flourish, even during the rise of digital communication. And be sure to take time to visit the refurbished Rose Reading Room
- FREE daily through April 30th. The main branch of the NYPL is Fifth Avenue and 42nd St, guarded by those two famous stone lions.
See the future at FordHub “City of Tomorrow“ exhibit in the Oculus transportation and shopping center in Lower Manhattan. Take a virtual reality tour of a futuristic city, learn how regenerative braking works, and more, including selfies at the wall of more than 5,000 miniature Ford vehicles.
- FREE daily, 10am to 7pm
Native Fashion Now is a stunning exhibit of contemporary clothing, jewelry and accessories by Native American designers and artisans. Traditional cultural symbols and crafts such as beadwork used on modern ways.
- FREE exhibit at the National Museum of the American Indian in Lower Manhattan, where admission is always free
Get ready for spring at the Queens Botanical Garden. See a FREE photography exhibit by Queens resident Vikram Dogra, showcasing the landscape and people of Astoria and LIC with a historical portrait of the ever-changing neighborhoods.
- FREE photography exhibit at the Visitor Center, through Feb. 26.
- FREE garden admission Wednesdays, 3 to 6pm, and Sundays, 9 to 11am
Learn about American and New York slang at a FREE lecture that walks us through y’all, youse and more. New York Times graphics editor Josh Katz takes us on a lively visual tour of Speaking American
- FREE lecture, 6:30pm Wed., Feb. 22, at the Mid-Manhattan Library, Fifth Avenue at 40th Street, across Fifth from the main branch with the lions.
Know about a free or cheap event ? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll check it out to include.