That includes here in NYC, where the Dept. of Sanitation is giving away 100,000 reusable shopping bags.
It’s an effort to reduce litter on city streets and in state rivers, lakes and streams.
If you are like me, you already have a collection of plastic bags you can re-use for grocery shopping or lining the garbage can.
If not, you can get a supply of FREE reusable bags from the NYC Dept. of Sanitation, which is giving away 100,000 of them at events in all five boroughs, through the end of the month.
The statewide ban bar businesses from providing plastic bags, and in New York City, businesses can charge a five-cent fee on paper carryout bags to shoppers who do not bring their own.
Like any law, this one is complicated, and has a few exceptions.
Exceptions to plastic bag ban
You can still get a plastic bag for unwrapped food purchases, such as sandwiches, fruits and vegetables.
That means asparagus and avocado qualify for a plastic bag, but not toilet paper or a container of milk.
It means your sliced-to-order ham or cheese qualifies for a plastic bag, but not pre-wrapped bread – only fresh-baked un-wrapped bread and rolls.
You will still be able to purchase pre-packaged, sealed boxes of plastic garbage bags and freezer bags and sandwich bags for make-your-own snacks and lunches.
Dry cleaners still will be able to protect your clean garments with a “slip-over” plastic film.
Pharmacies are exempt from the ban, also, when providing prescription drugs.
Where to get FREE re-usable bags in NYC
- Friday, Feb. 14, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 8 East 109th Street
- Thursday, Feb. 13, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., 1555 Linden Boulevard
- Thursday, Feb. 27, 2:30 to 4 p.m., 665 New Lots Avenue
- Wednesday, Feb. 12, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., 183-02 Union Turnpike
- Saturday, Feb. 29, 1 to 4 p.m., 115-21 Farmers Boulevard
- Wednesday, Feb. 12, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., 295 St Ann’s Avenue
- Friday, Feb. 14, 2:30 to 3 p.m., 1841 Westchester Avenue
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 877 Southern Boulevard
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., 1065 E 163rd Street
- Tuesday, Feb. 11, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., 1000 Richmond Terrace
- Friday, Feb. 28, 10 a.m. to noon, 2600 Hylan Boulevard
- Friday, Feb. 28, 7 to 8 p.m., 77 Bennett Street
For more information about carryout bags, visit at nyc.gov/bags.