Who says NYC has to be expensive? One of the great joys of summer in NYC is all the FREE events, including FREE outdoor movie screenings in NYC parks, gardens and other outdoor spaces in Brooklyn through Autumn.
Unless otherwise noted, outdoor film screenings are at sunset or just after sunset.
Grab a picnic dinner and a blanket and celebrate summer in the city at these FREE movie nights.
There also are outdoor and rooftop movies with paid ticketed admission. But you’ll have to find that information someplace else.
Our list is only the FREE outdoor movies, because our motto is get more NYC with less money with NYC on the Cheap.
SEE ALSO FREE Outdoor Movies in Manhattan
This is the 20th anniversary of the popular Movies With A View, with a blockbuster lineup that includes Hollywood classics and newer fan favorites. This year’s theme is “Better the Second Time Around” and will feature popular films shown over the series’ history.
Since its launch in 2000, the program has wowed, entertained, thrilled, and pulled at the heartstrings of over 500,000 moviegoers.
Movies With A View is every Thursday evening in July and August on Pier 1’s Harbor View Lawn, preceded by DJ sets curated by Brooklyn Radio.
Burgers, frites, dumplings, pizza, venezuelan street food, ice cream, beer, and wine from Smorgasburg will be available all night long on Pier 1 promenade.
Jul 11 – Pariah
Jul 18 – Girlfight
Jul 25 – It Happened One Night
Aug 8 – The Big Lebowski
Aug 15 – An American Tail
Aug 22- Selma
Aug 29 – Movies with a View Public Vote
A giant 40-foot inflatable screen turns the beach at West 10th Street into an outdoor movie theater on select Mondays in July and August.
This season includes The Greatest Showman, Black Panther and Coco.
This summer, BAM Film partners with FAB FULTON to present a series of free outdoor screenings at Brooklyn Plaza Medical Center.
The schedule includes the truly fab West Side Story.
- Brooklyn Plaza Medical Center is located at Fulton St and Lafayette Ave in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.
- All screenings are free and begin at 8:30pm.
The movies are free every Sunday night through October in the outdoor garden adjoining the restaurant, but the beer and munchies are at menu prices.
- Jun 23 – What Women Want PG (2000)
- June 30 – Tyson R (1995)
- Jul 7 – Cliffhanger R (1993)
- Jul 14 – Liar Liar PG (1997)
- Jul 21 – The Professional R (1994)
- Jul 28 – He Got Game R (1998)
- Aug 4 – Never Been Kissed PG (1999)
- Aug 11 – Step Up PG (2006)
- Aug 18 – The Super R (1991)
- Aug 25 – Notorious R (2009)
- Sep 1 – Jurrasic Park PG (1993)
- Sep 8 – Fifth Element PG (1997)
- Sep 15 – Fight Club R (1999)
- Sep 22 – Wild Wild West PG (1999)
- Sep 29 – Paid In Full R (2002)
- Oct 6 – Goodfellas R (1990)
- Oct 13 – Sister Act R (1992)
- Oct 20 – Scream R (1996)
- Oct 27 – Hocus Pocus PG (1993)
Red Hook Flicks
- Tuesdays, July 9 – August 27 – Red Hook
- Summer Movies on the Pier.
- Fridays, July 12 – August 16 – Greenpoint
- Town Square’s SummerSTARZ free family movie nights