Reminder that you can get FREE assistance with filing your taxes through April 15th at The New York Public Library (NYPL) neighborhood branches throughout Manhattan, Bronx and Staten Island, from AARP volunteers certified by the IRS.
The FREE tax assistance is first come, first served – there are no appointments.
Most returns are filed electronically (e-filed), also FREE.
The FREE tax prep service is open to anybody, whether or not you are 50+ and eligible for AARP membership
To participate in this free tax prep program, you must:
- Have a valid NYC address
- Bring all necessary documents and information
The New York Public Library collaborates with the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs and the IRS to bring AARP, Ariva, Foodbank, MMCC and VITA to the branches to facilitate tax assistance programs.
Requirements to participate in the NYC tax assistance programs here.
Requirements to participate in the IRS VITA programs here.
Please do your research on other specific eligibility requirements for tax assistance help, since they vary. Requirements for each 2018 tax assistance provide:
For a full listing of locations providing a tax assistance program click here.
Schedule of Tax Time with Foodbank is available in the following three boroughs:
Visit nyc.gov/taxprep or call 311 to find other assistance programs that might meet your needs.
Documents required to bring with you for FREE tax filing assistance:
- current year’s tax forms and preparation booklet;
- copy of last years income tax return(s);
- W-2 forms from each employer;
- unemployment compensation statement(s);
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits;
- all 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets;
- 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income;
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity;
- all forms indicating federal income tax paid;
- dependent care provider information )name, employer, ID, Social Security number);
- all receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions;
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents.
Additional tax filing support at NYPL:
The Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL) aprovides access to CCH Omnitax Library, which includes all the information from more than a dozen of its well-known tax resources. Foremost are the Standard Federal Tax Reporter, the Estate and Gift Tax Reporter, the Internal Revenue Manual and the New York Tax Reporter.
But the library also includes the Tax Cases, including memoranda, revenue rulings, Treasury decisions, comprehensive presentations of the tax treaties and a range of the IRS Publications. There are also several current awareness news sources and tax guides.
Get tax help here:
- Mondays & Wednesdays: 1 PM – 6 PM
- Fridays & Saturdays: 1 PM – 5 PM
SIBL is on Madison Ave. between 34th and 35th Streets (in the old B. Altman building).
DISCLAIMER: The New York Public Library assumes no liability or responsibility of any kind arising out of or in connection with an individual’s use or misuse of the free tax preparation services provided at our locations, including but not limited to security, reliability and timeliness of information.
- First come, first served
- Organize your materials
- Bring all your documents
This article was posted originally in 2017 and updated for 2018 and 2019.