City Hall is one of the oldest continuously used City Halls in the USA that still houses its original governmental functions, and is considered one of the finest architectural achievements of its period.
It was constructed from 1803 to 1812, and was an early expression of NYC’s growing importance and cosmopolitanism.
The City Hall tour includes a discussion of the building’s history, art, architecture, and civic function.
Spaces toured include the landmarked rotunda (President Lincoln lay in state here in 1865), City Council Chamber, and Governor’s Room, an impressive reception area whose visitors have included the Marquis de Lafayette and Albert Einstein.
The Governor’s Room also houses part of the City Hall Portrait Collection and historic furnishings.
Group tours of City Hall are typically offered for groups (10-20 people or one class) on Mondays and Tuesdays at 10:30 AM.
Tours for individuals are on Wednesdays at 12:00 PM and Thursdays at 10:00 AM.
Dates and times are subject to change.
Here are the group and individual tour dates for February 2019:
- Monday, February 4 at 10:30 am
- Tuesday, February 12 at 10:30 am
- Wednesday, February 6 at 12:00 pm
- Thursday, February 7 at 10:00 am
- Wednesday, February 13 at 12:00 pm
- Thursday, February 14 at 10:00 am
- Wednesday, February 20 at 12:00 pm
- Thursday, February 21 at 10:00 am
- Wednesday, February 27 at 12:00 pm
- Thursday, February 28 at 10:00 am
Thanks for reading NYC on the Cheap. We hope you return daily. If you don't want to miss news of events and deals in NYC and nationwide, subscribe to our email newsletter RSS feed.