Free tickets are available starting August 15 for the 14th Annual Smithsonian Museum Day, when more than 1,300 museums in all 50 states offer FREE admission.
In NYC, it includes a special event at the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, opening a hologram exhibit, Defying Gravity: Women in Space, about the women of NASA.
Museum Day 2018 is Saturday, Sept. 22. Get your tickets now for your museum choices.
You can’t just walk in to any museum. You must download a special free admission ticket.
The annual Smithsonian Museum Day allows museums nationwide to emulate the spirit of the Smithsonian Institution’s Washington, D.C.-based facilities, which offer free admission every day, as does the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) in Lower Manhttan, a branch of the Smithsonian, and an NYCOTC favorite.
Celebrate Women Making History
The theme of Smithsonian Museum Day 2018 is “Women Making History,” honoring women in society who are trailblazers in the arts, sciences, innovation and culture, and emboldening others to be pioneers as well.
Museum Day 2018 is inviting participating museums across the country to create programming to support this initiative.
Here in NYC, the Museum of the City of New York already has done that, with a special exhibit, Rebel Women, about the NYC heroines of the Victorian Era who pushed the boundaries, including walking alone on NYC streets.
As in 2017, Museum Day is partnering with Microsoft for special high-tech programs to enhance the museum-going experience, especially for young people. Last year, it was interactive lesson plans using Minecraft.
To help amplify this year’s theme and celebrate Women Making History, Smithsonian and Microsoft are staging an original mixed reality experience.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum will host a special “Only in NYC” program with an exclusive program and exhibit launch event featuring a Q&A session with an astronaut.
- Defying Gravity: Women in Space is a mixed reality experience designed for Microsoft HoloLens, narrated by engineer, physician, and former NASA astronaut, Dr. Mae Jemison, that takes guests through women’s pivotal yet often unsung contributions to space exploration.
- Defying Gravity, created in collaboration with Microsoft and the Smithsonian, uses the space shuttle Enterprise as an entry point to explore the US space program and its journey to inclusion.
- As the first woman of color in the world in space, Dr. Jemison is a particularly powerful voice for women in STEM.
- The HoloLens experience will debut exclusively at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum on Museum Day, September 22, with the launch event including Dr. Jemison, and continue to be on display through November 2018.
Museum Day 2018 Ticket Rules
Each FREE ticket grants the ticket holder and one guest, FREE access to any participating museum on September 22.
Your Smithsonian Museum Day ticket will be e-mailed, and you must print it and bring it with you for free entry.
Each ticket is good for two people, and does not include special exhibits, parking or showings such as IMAX.
NYCOTC Ticket Tips
- If you are a group of more than two, register with different email addresses for the two-ticket limit.
- Whether you are part of group or not, go early in the day, since museums have the right to make you wait in favor of paying customers if space reaches capacity.
Get FREE admission every day of the week to NYC museums.
In New York City, participating museums include:
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
- Morris-Jumel Mansion
- Museum of American Finance
- Museum of the City of New York
- The Hispanic Society of America
- Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian in Battery Park, which is free every day, not just on Museum Day Live!