Want to bypass the $20+ admission charge – more or less – at top NYC museums?
Take advantage of FREE museum admission days and times, but know that the museum will be crowded with others also taking advantage of free NYC museums admission days.
Here’s when and where to enjoy NYC museums on the cheap at five of the most popular museums in town:
See the complete NYCOTC list of FREE museum days and times here.
World-class collection of paintings, drawings and sculptures by Picasso, Monet, Van Gogh, Warhol, Rodin, Moore and more. Don’t miss the MOMA outdoor Sculpture Garden, which gets our vote for one of the most peaceful places in NYC.
- FREE Fridays, 4pm to 8pm.
Whitney Museum of Art
Modern masters including Georgia O’Keefe and Edward Hopper, plus cutting edge videographers, showcased in a recently-opened architectural gem steps from the High Line, another important NYC destination.
- Pay what you wish on Fridays, 6pm to 9pm
Contemporary German and Austrian art and furnishings. This begn as the private collection and personal passion of Leonard Lauder (Estee Lauder’s son) and grew into a museum. Leave time to visit the Cafe Sabransky, widely regarded as one of the best German restaurants in New York City.
- FREE the first Friday of the Month, 6pm to 8pm
Guggenheim Museum – Pay what you wish every Saturday, 5:45pm to7:45pm
- Picasso, Chagall and more in a building that is a work of art itself, along New York City’s Museum Mile on Fifth Avenue.
View one of the most extensive collections of ancient Egyptian art and artifacts anywhere in the world, and much less crowded than the Egyptian Wing at the Met Museum in Manhattan.
- FREE the first Saturday of each month, thanks to Target First Saturdays
- Also, the Brooklyn Museum adjoins the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, which is FREE on Tuesdays.
- Note that the FREE admission does not include the special and extremely popular David Bowie is exhibit. That requires a ticket. Get $20 discount tickets here.
- The David Bowie exhibit is through mid-July.