Friday, Sept. 29 is National Coffee Day, as though we needed a day to recognize our addiction to the beverage. Here are some NYC spots to celebrate the venerable bean:
The coffee shops in Grand Central Terminal are serving up $1 cups. Participating merchants include Shake Shack, Oren’s Daily Roast and Brownsville Roasters, plus live entertainment. In Vanderbilt Hall, 7am to 2pm.
Restaurant guru Danny Meyer has opened Cafe Marchio, an Italian-style espresso bar in East Midtown, all Old World elegance, with lots of marble and bronze. Like traditional Roman coffee bars, there are no seats. This is a stand and sip outlet, with Espresso and Latte choices priced between $3 and $5. There also are decadent Italian pastries, sandwiches and Continental aperitif choices. Read more about Cafe Marchio in this review in Eater.
If you are a coffee-holic, you should attend the New York Coffee Festival, Oct. 13/15. You’ll be sipping and slurping for charity, since 100% of this year’s proceeds are being donated to Project Waterfall, a charity that aims to bring clean water to coffee-growing communities around the world. Discount ticket are $19, or $50 for a three-day pass.
Here’s what’s percolating with National Coffee Day deals in national chains:
- Cinnabon – FREE 12-oz. coffee all day. No purchase necessary.
- Dairy Queen – Small OREO Cookie Frappe for $2 between 2pm and 5pm.
- Dunkin’ Donuts – Buy-one-get-one FREE medium hot coffee.
- Krispy Kreme – FREE any sized hot brewed coffee or small ice premium blend per day from Sept. 29 to Oct. 1. No purchase necessary.
- Maui Wowi Hawaiian – 50% off online orders with promo code ALOHACOFFEE at checkout.
- Peet’s Coffee & Tea– FREE medium drip coffee with purchase of any bag of blended beans at (Bonus!) 25% off. You can also purchase bags of beans online at 25% off with promo code COFFEEDAY17 at checkout.
- 7-Eleven – FREE coffee of any size for members of the 7Rewards loyalty program once per day from Sept. 29 to Oct. 1 via its app.