Live at SeaGlass Carousel is a two-day family-friendly music and dance festival in Battery Park. The music is by live dance bands playing swing and blues, Latin including a Mexican brass band, and more modern stuff. There’s room for dancing to the music, and also riding SeaGlass to beautiful live music.
SeaGlass Carousel is one of the world’s most unique, where passengers float around in nautical themed cocoons. It’s totally magical.
- SEE ALSO Our list of best carousels in all five boroughs
- SEE ALSO Midsummer Night Swing in Lincoln Center, three weeks of dancing outdoors to live bands
Live at SeaGlass Carousel is next weekend, Friday and Saturday, June 23 and 24.
Here’s the schedule, including a bit about each band:
6:00 pm – KING SOLOMON HICKS
- Solomon Hicks has been called ‘Lil’ B.B. King, East Montgomery, and King Solomon by his fans from NYC, nationally and now internationally. He is the real deal…the next best thing out of New York City. Solomon has been in the biz since age 13 as the lead guitarist and performer at the Cotton Club, with a 13-piece band. He recorded his first CD, Embryonic, at age 14 with the Cotton Club All-Star Band.
7:20pm – THE GRAND ST STOMPERS featuring TAMAR KORN
- Led by trumpeter Gordon Au, The Grand St. Stompers are a New York-based New Orleans-style hot jazz band, reviving and refreshing the music of the 1920s onward for today’s listeners, swing dancers, and music fans. With the talent and experience of NYC’s top traditional jazz singers and players, they delight audiences all over the world.
8:40pm – SVETLANA and the DELANCEY FIVE
- Led by the “outstanding vocalist and songwriter” (Wall Street Journal), Svetlana & The Delancey Five transport the audience with a carnival of sound, seamlessly moving from lush ballads to rowdy exuberant and joyful. The band has headlined sold-out shows in NYC and at festivals across the US and internationally with the charm of Svetlana’s sultry vocals and the intoxicating improvisations of a small big band jazz group.
3:00-4:30pm: Music by young people – Brooklyn Youth Music Project
- Full orchestra and two jazz ensembles, plus youth rock band
5:00pm – YERASON
- YeraSon, lead by Grammy winning Violinist Yrving Yeras, is a New York based Cuban Orquesta Charanga with a multinational flair. YeraSon Orquesta Charanga electrifies with old-school Cuban music with a distinctly modern New York twist. The bands unique sound is at once elegant and energetic with a contagious rhythm that attracts dancing and listening crowds alike. YeraSon is a treat for both the ears and the feet!
6:15pm – MAMIE MINCH & TAMAR KORN
- Mamie Minch is one of the youngest old-school blues guitarists and singers you’ve heard. She sings and plays songs of her own devising that sound like they’ve been stored in her old National guitar for decades. Raised on the music of John Hurt, Rev. Davis and Memphis Minnie, she can sometimes sound like her predecessors, but don’t mistake her for a revivalist- she is most definitely a product of her own time.
7:30pm – BANDA DE LOS MUERTOS
- A Mexican Brass Band from Brooklyn led by Oscar Noriega and Jacob Garchik. This band attracts audiences made up of brass aficionados and Mexican immigrants – as well as kudos from the mother of all Mexican Brass Bands: Banda el Recodo.
8:45pm – SOUL UNDERSTATED
- Led by singer/songwriter Mavis ‘SWAN’ Poole and the powerful yet melodic drummer Jeremy ‘BEAN’ Clemons, Soul Understated is one of the rarest discoveries in music since Motown. The influences on their music are overwhelming and pleasurable all at once. With elements from EWF to Ella Fitzgerald, Donny Hathaway to Curtis Mayfield, and Sarah Vaughn to Count Basie, and even Hip-hop infused, their music spans across all genres.
About the festival:
SeaGlass Carousel at The Battery is created by NY Carousel Entertainment, the operators of SeaGlass, and curated by bassist/composer Michael Bates & drummer/composer Rob Garcia, Live at SeaGlass brings together great bands, original music, and the magical SeaGlass Carousel. Performer/Magician, Todd Robins will be emceeing the festival and SeaGlass Carousel riders will have the unique experience of riding SeaGlass to beautiful live music.
See you on the dance floor!