Movies on the cheap: Saving money at the box office can be as tricky as a suspense thriller, or as full of laughs as a comedy. With ticket prices $15 or more, it can cost a family of four $100 with popcorn, candy, hot dogs or drinks. Be a super saver superstar, even to see a blockbuster film on opening weekend, by planning ahead to mix discount deals.
Be flexible to avoid paying full-price at the box office or concession stand.
Here are 9 our tips for blockbuster savings at Regal Cinemas:
SEE ALSO $1 movies for kids at Regal Cinemas
- Regal Crown Club. As a member, you get discounts at the concession stand and earn points toward FREE tickets, popcorn and soda. Rewards are awarded for every 50 points earned. On average (for two people), you can earn around 25 points per visit — assuming you visit the concession stand. Plus, members can get 25% off candy every Monday and 50% off popcorn every Tuesday. Membership is FREE.
- Value Days. This discount is a definite blockbuster because it includes new releases — a rarity with most box office promos. The discount and days vary by location, with ticket prices as low as $5. In many markets, it’s the lowest ticket price offered by the theater chain.
- Value Days Concession Specials. The discount doesn’t just stop at the box office on Value Days. Many locations also offer discounted concession items, including $2 hot dogs and $3 nachos at participating locations.
- Economy Ticket – The ticket price varies by theater, and not all theaters participate in the deal, which is valid only before 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday (except holidays.) Plus, the films must have been in release for at least 10 days. IMAX and RPX shows are excluded. However, you can upgrade an Economy Ticket for 3-D films for an additional $3.50.
- Monthly Mobile Coupon. Download the Regal Cinemas app for a monthly mobile coupon delivered right to your smartphone on the first day of the month. To date, the coupons have been for savings on concession items, not tickets. No printed coupons are accepted.
- Free Large Refills. Regal Cinemas offers a FREE refill (during the same visit) on a large popcorn. It’s a smart move for budget-conscious families or friends. Why pay for two or three small popcorns, when you can share one for less money? The offer also includes a FREE refill on large sodas, which can be shared . Just remember to get extra straws.
- AARP Special. It pays to be older at Regal Cinemas. AARP members can save $3 on a small drink and small popcorn combo — around 25% off. Just flash your AARP membership card at the concession stand.
- Matinee Discounts. If you didn’t already know, matinee showtimes (before 4 p.m.) are always cheaper than evening shows, usually by $2 or $3. Plus, as added bonus, there are fewer patrons, so it can be a much more quiet and relaxing experience.
- Senior/Student/Military Discounts. These are not the best discounts, but, if there aren’t better savings available, you can always rely on these good ol’ stand-bys. The discounted tickets are usually a buck or two off regular prices. Of course, a proper ID is required for any of the discounts.
So how will you write the script on seeing movies on the cheap, now that you know how to you combine deals for superstar savings.
For example, check out a flick on a Tuesday afternoon with an Economy Ticket. Of course, you’ll swipe your Regal Crown Club at the box office to get a $2 small popcorn coupon. It’s even better because both transactions will earn points toward freebies.
See you at the movies!
This posting was adapted from one on sister website Living on the Cheap.