There’s so much happening FREE every night of the week of the summer season. These are the best NYC freebies today through Friday, including outdoor film screenings, concerts, and more, to enjoy NYC on the cheap. We’ll have the weekend round-up for you on Friday.
Outdoor movies generally begin at dusk (8PM or 8:30PM), and doors generally open at 7PM or 7:30PM, but check the links for specific times, and get there early for a good seat, and bring water to keep hydrated in this terrible heat.
Also remember you can get meal deals during NYC Restaurant Week now underway, with three weeks of discounted three-course meals at more than 300 top NYC resturants.
and get free and cheap deals like this by email every morning
Best of Central Park
Hallett Sanctuary in Central Park – This rustic, bucolic hideaway steps from the Central Park Pond has extended visiting hours for the summer from one day a week to three. Through August 31, pedestrians only (no bikes or strollers) can explore this best of New York secret spot.
- July 1 – August 31
Monday & Friday: 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Wednesday: 2:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Sunday: 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Monday, August 1st
Bryant Park Summer Film Series – Every Monday this summer, see a top film at this popular event. Tonight, it’s Harvey, the delightful classic about an invisible six foot rabbit, starring James Stewart as his real friend.
- Tuesday, August 2nd
Free preview screening of Florence Foster Jenkins, starring Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant, in Chelsea. Congratulations to the winners of the NYC on the Cheap ticket giveaway.
Sunset Salsa – Outdoor dancing to the uptempo sounds of a popular Latin D,J at Pier 45 at Christopher St. There’s a free beginner lesson at 6:30, and the dancing starts at 7:15. Starting next week, it will be Sunset Salsa on Tuesdays, through August 16th.
Stargazing at the High Line – Every Tuesday until October 25th, take a closer look at the stars. Peer through high-powered telescopes provided by the knowledgeable members of the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York to see rare celestial sights. At the Diller-von Furstenberg Sundeck, on the High Line at West 14th Street
Free outdoor movies Tuesday:
- Pretty in Pink (LOFT’s The LOL Movie Series): Solar One on the pier at 23rd Street and FDR, Peter Cooper Village
- Moonstruc” (Arts, Fun & Culture): Starring Cher and Nicholas Gage, at Tony Dapolito Recreation Center, West Village
- Beverly Hills Cop (Red Hook Flicks): Valentino Park and Pier, Red Hook
- Wednesday, August 3rd
Uptown Bounce – Free museum admission and other family-friendly events at the Museum of the City of New York and Museo del Barrio on Fifth Avenue’s Museum Mile, over four Wednesdays starting this week.
Lincoln Center Out of Doors – Three weeks of FREE outdoor dance performances and concerts. Tonight’s concert includes Soledad Barrio and Noche Flamenco.
Free outdoor movies Wednesday:
- The Royal Tenennbaums (SummerScreen): A comedy about a dysfuncational family, at McCarren Park, Williamsburg
- Girl Asleep: International Film Festival at Socrates Sculpture Park, Astoria
- Jurassic World (FMCP Movie Night): Unisphere, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Corona
- Creed (Hudson Riverflicks): Pier 63 at Chelsea Piers, Chelsea
- The Royal Tenenbaums (Summer on the Hudson): Pier I, Riverside Park South, Upper West Side, Seating starts at 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, August 4th
Lincoln Center Out of Doors – Three weeks of free outdoor concerts and dance performances. Tonight’s performers include Lucinda Williams.
Broadway in Bryant Park – Every Thursday through August 11th, enjoy stars of top Broadway and Off-Broadway musicals performing songs and dances from their shows.
Journey to the Stars – Every Thursday night in August members of the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York bring their high-powered telescopes to Pier 1 in Brookkyn Bridge Park share the night sky, plus a spectacular view of the Manhattan skyline.
Free outdoor movies on Thursday:
- The Goonies (Summer in the Square): Union Square Park, North Plaza (17 Street and Union Square East)
- American Graffiti” (Movies with a View): Pier 1, Brooklyn Bridge Park, DUMBO
- Friday, August 5th
Lincoln Center Out of Doors – Three weeks of free outdoor concerts and dance performances. Tonight’s music includes Ze Renato.
- Note: This weekend is the annual Roots of American Music Americanafest. Performers include country legend Dwight Yokam.
Intrepid Summer Movie Series – Tonight it’s Big Hero 6, on the Flight Deck. Bring your own seating.
Sunset on the Hudson – Dance to the rhythms of the Chuck Braman Jazz Band, at the water’s edge at Pier 45, at Christopher St. at 7pm.
Family Fridays at Hudson Riverflicks – Tonight, it’s Penguins of Madagascar creating animated mayhem. At Pier 46, at Charles Street. Free popcorn, too.
“Minions” (Movies Under the Stars): Crocheron Park, Queens
Good Morning America free summer concerts in Central Park.
Today Show free summer concerts in Rockefeller Plaza.