This is from 2016. See the 2017 schedule here.
New York Philharmonic Concerts in the Parks returns for a week starting tonight for its 51st anniversary season of FREE outdoor concerts in parks in each borough, many with fireworks.
Once again, Concerts in the Parks, June 15-22, there are bonus Share the Stage performances in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island, giving local musicians the opportunity to perform on stage in their home boroughs with what one of the world’s top orchestras.
This year, Music Director Alan Gilbert conducts Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto, with Principal Clarinet Anthony McGill as soloist; Richard Strauss’s Ein Heldenleben, featuring Concertmaster Frank Huang in concertmaster solos; and works by Wagner, Beethoven, and Rossini. And Staten Island audiences will enjoy a Free Indoor Concert featuring a chamber version of Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons, with Huang as soloist.
All performances begin at 8PM, but get there early for a spot on the lawn. Please be courteous to your neighbors — no loud conversations during the music, either person to person or on cellphones.
There will be fireworks by Bay Fireworks following the performances in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx.
Wed., June 15th on the Great Lawn in Central Park: Mozart, Rossini and R. Strauss.
- Westside entrances: West 81st or 86th Streets at Central Park West
- Eastside entrances: East 79th or 85th Streets at Fifth Avenue
Thurs., June 16th also on the Great Lawn in Central Park:Wagner and Beethoven, including the soaring Symphony No. 3, Eroica
Fri., June 17th on the Great Lawn in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park: Wagner and Beethoven, including Eroica. Before this concert, from 6:30 to 7:00 p.m., Marika Hughes & Bottom Heavy will perform.
- Enter at Grand Army Plaza, Prospect Park West at 9th Street or Bartel-Pritchard Circle at the intersection of Prospect Park West, Prospect Park Southwest and 15th Street
Mon., June 20th, in Cunningham Park, Queens: Mozzart, Rossini and R. Strauss Before this concert, from 6:30 to 7:00 p.m., Street Beat Brass Band will perform.
- Enter at 193rd Street, near 81stst Avenue or Union Turnpike. Concert site is at 193rd Street Field
Tues., June 21st, in Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx: Rossini, Mozart and R. Strauss Before this concert, from 6:30 to 7:00 p.m., Afro-Puerto Rican drummers BombaYo will perform.
- Enter the park from Broadway, near West 251st Street. Concert site is north of the baseball fields
June 24, at Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden, Staten Island: Program to include Vivaldi Four Seasons. Before this concert, from 7:00 to 7:30 p.m., folk musicians Bob Conroy and Norm Pederson with Bill Doerge will perform.
- NOTE: This is an indoor concert which requires a reservation to ensure space. Tickets are free but required; reserve at brownpapertickets.com.
Concerts are at 8 p.m. Bring a blanket and a picnic dinner. And please be courteous to your neighbors — no loud conversations during the music, either person to person or on cellphones.
See the NYCOTC Summer Events Calendar page for a full list of NYC free summer events, indoors and outdoors.
EXPIRED, Sorry, this deal or event is no longer available.