NYC public pools are now open for the season, daily through Labor Day. Also unless otherwise noted, pools are open 11AM to 7PM with a one hour maintenance break between 3PM and 4PM. to 7PM. Some pools are open earlier for lap swimmers.
NYC Outdoor Pool rules:
- Bring your own lock for the lockers,
- Floatation devices, even “wings” for kids are not permitted
- Food, beverages in glass bottles, electronic devices, newspapers and magazines are not permitted in the pool area
- Go early or late to avoid the biggest crowds and the noisiest kids
Here are the largest and most popular public pools in Manhattan:
- best NYC public outdoor pools in Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island
- best NYC beaches you can reach by subway
Lasker Rink and Pool, Central Park: The name says it all. Lasker Rink and Pool in Central Park is a skating rink in winter and melts into a swimming pool in summer. This is a huge pool, plus a wading pool for the kiddies.
- Lasker Rink and Pool website
- Location: 110th Street & Lenox Avenue, tel. 212-534-7639
John Jay Park Pool, Upper East Side: Views across the East River, plus a diving board, and a few lounge chairs for tanning. This pool is one of the most popular in NYC and there can be long lines on weekends.
- John Jay Pool website
- Location 77th Street and Cherokee Place. Tel: 212-794-6566
Thomas Jefferson Pool, East Harlem: There are two pools here, an Olympic sized pool for adults and kids 56 inches and taller, plus a wading pool for younger children. Popular with lap swimmers early in the day, but rarely gets as crowded as the one at John Jay Park.
Hamilton fish Pool, Lower East Side
The site features two pools, an Olympic-size one for adults and kids 56 inches and taller, and a wading pool for younger children, which makes it a great location for family trips and enthusiastic swimmers. There also are beach-like outdoor showers.
- Hamilton Fish Pool website
- Location: 128 Pitt Street, New York. Tel: 212-387-7687
Highbridge Park, Washington Heights: Two huge pools, an Olympic-size pool for adults, and a large wading pool for younger children. With the re-opening of the High Bridge over the East River for pedestrians and bicyclists, this uptown location will be more popular.
- Highbridge Park Pool website
- Location: Location: Amsterdam Ave. and W. 173rd Street, Tel. 212-927-2400
The NYC Dept. of Parks and Recreation operates additional pools, including mini-pools, in Manhattan. Here is the link to the entire list.