Again this year, Barnes & Noble is rewarding kids up to age 12 for reading over the summer by offering FREE books. The summer reading program requirements are very simple – kids fill out a reading journal and answer a few questions to qualify.
This is the 20th anniversary of the Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program, and it has been revised with new rules and a new name – Summer Reading Triathlon.
Previously, kids were required to write down the titles of eight or ten books on a special form, bring it into a B&N bookstore, and choose free books from selected titles.
Under the new rules, kids do not have to read a certain number of books or log the books they have read. They just answer the questions on a form, bring in the form, and pick out a book – three steps that make it a Summer Reading Triathlon.
Barnes & Noble also has extended the program from the end of August to September 6th, the day after Labor Day.
The questions are easy for any primary school grade level:
- What book made you read faster than ever before?
- What is the longest book you’ve ever read?
- In which series have you read the most books?
- What book made you stretch your imagination the most?
Once children turn in their forms, they get to choose one book from one of the reward book options, with several choices for each grade level:
GRADES 1 & 2
- Detective Camp (A to Z Mysteries Super Edition #1)
- DK Readers Level 1: Jungle Animals
- Dr. Seuss: The Great Doodler
- Jorge el curioso: El puesto de limonada
- Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson Series #1)
- Pete the Cat: Scuba-Cat
- Pinkalicious and Planet Pink
- Stowaway! (Puppy Pirates Series #1)
- The Thrills and Chills of Amusement Parks
GRADES 3 & 4
- The Bell Bandit (The Lemonade War Series #3)
- Escape From Mr. Lemoncello’s Library
- I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived Series #2)
- Justice League vs. Bizarro League (LEGO® DC Comics™ Super Heroes Series)
- My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish
- Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great
- Stuart Little
GRADES 5 & 6
- The Bravest Princess
- Esperanza renace
- Lea Dives In
- The Night Gardener
- President of the Whole Fifth Grade
- Story Thieves (Story Thieves Series #1)
- Travel Team
The steps to take part are:
- Fill out the Summer Reading Triathlon Reading Journal.
- Bring the completed Reading Journal to your local B&N store.
- Choose a free book from their selection on the Reading Journal list at the store.
The program runs until September 6, 2016. Note that Barnes and Noble says that there is no guarantee that the child’s preferred book will be available, so the sooner they finish the requirements, the sooner they can choose a free book. Children may only choose one complimentary book.
Barnes and Noble does not seem to limit the ages or grades of kids who take part in the summer reading program. Nowhere on the form does it say that it is only for children between certain ages or in certain grades. The reward books are for children in grades 1-6, but it seems that children who are younger or older can participate if they wish.
Educators can also download this year’s activity kit (PDF). The kit has activity pages and extension ideas, among other resources.
This is a terrific program, since it encourages reading when school is not in session.
Thank you Barnes & Noble for continuing this valuable program for another summer.