NYC foodie alert: Sample the world’s best BBQ at the 14th annual Big Apple Barbecue Block Party, the weekend of June 11 and 12, in and around Madison Square Park, with more than a dozen pitmasters serving up ribs, pulled pork and beer and wine to wash down the food. There’s also FREE live music with a rotating roster of local bands and visiting musicians.
Noted North Carolina whole hog specialist Ed Mitchell is returning, along with longtime participants Mike and Amy Mills, Chris Lilly, and Pat Martin.
Local barbecue is well represented at the Big Apple Barbecue with four New York City barbecue joints participating, reflecting the culinary evolution of NYC barbecue.
One of them is Blue Smoke, a top BBQ spot operated by Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group. Danny Meyer originated the event in 2002, and managed it until last year. Now, it is being managed directly by chef Tim Love and C3, an events company based in Texas.
But there’s no change to the recommendation that you purchase a FastPass, to prepay and skip the lines. There’s a limited number of FastPass tickets available, so get tickets now before they sell out. Tickets are available online.
Here is the list of pit masters and their restaurants, in alphabetical order, so you won’t accuse us of playing favorites:
- Jean Paul Bourgeois, Blue Smoke, New York City
- Joe Duncan, Baker’s Ribs, Dallas
- Billy Durney, Hometown BBQ Brooklyn, New York City
- Charles Grund Jr., Hill Country, New York City
- Sam Jones Skylight Inn / Sam Jones BBQ, Ayden, NC
- Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson BBQ, Decatur, AL
- Pat Martin, Martin’s Bar-B-Que, Nashville,TN
- Ed Mitchell, Wilson, NC
- Mike Mills 17th St. BBQ, Murphysboro, IL
- Gary Roark Ubon’s Barbecue, Yazoo City, MS
- Scott Roberts Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood, TX
- John Stage Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, New York City
- John Wheeler, Memphis Barbecue Co., South Haven, MS
At Big Apple Barbecue 2015, more than 14,000 pounds of ribs were served, along with 7,500 pounds of pork and 3,500 gallons of beer and wine. So get your appetite and thirst ready for this annual event.