Freebie Friday: With admission to top NYC museums as much as $25, you’ll save money and enjoy NYC on the Cheap by visiting on days and times that admission is FREE. The downside is that it will be crowded with others taking advantage of the free museum admission.
Here’s what’s free on Friday, alphabetically.
Asia Society and Museum
- Exhibits and programs on the history and culture of Asia. Free admission 6-9 PM (does not apply July 1 to Labor Day), 725 Park Ave. at 70th St.
- Next to the Brooklyn Museum. Free admission for Seniors all day, 1000 Washington Avenue, Brooklyn
- Interactive fun for the family. Free admission only on the first Friday of the month, 5-8 PM sponsored by Target, 212 West 83rd Street
- This living history museum is located on 100 acres on Staten Island. Visit free on Fridays 1-5 PM, 441 Clarke Avenue.
- See the work of top photographers and photojournalists. Pay what you wish on Fridays from 5-8 PM, 1114 Sixth Avenue at 40th St. (note that new museum opens at 305 Bowery in Spring 2016)
- Explore the Gallery exhibits free on Fridays 6-9 PM, 333 East 47th St. between First and Second Avenues.
- Visit JP Morgan’s library, study and the rotunda free on Fridays 7-9 PM, 225 Madison Avenue at 37th St.
- Contemporary arts and crafts and DIY workshops. Pay what you wish on Fridays 6-9 PM, when the schedule often includes being able to watch artisans at work, 2 Columbus Circle.
- Home of Picasso, Lichtenstein, Calder, O’Keefe and more. Free on Fridays 4-8 PM, including for the lovely outdoor sculpture garden, sponsored by Uniqlo, 11 West 53rd St.
- Free on Fridays 4-8 PM for galleries and exhibits only, not film screenings. 35 Avenue at 36 Street, Astoria
- Contemporary German and Austrian art, free on the first Friday of every month 6-8 PM, on Museum Mile, 1048 Fifth Avenue.
- Pay what you wish admission Fridays after 3 PM, and please pay something, since the New York Aquarium is still recovering from being nearly washed away by Superstorm Sandy. Surf Avenue and West 8th Street, Coney Island, Brooklyn.
- Interactive exhibits for the entire family, in a building built for the 1964 World’s Fair, free on Fridays 2-5 PM (except July/August), 47-01 111th Street, Flushing Meadow, Queens
- Explore the culture and history of NYC and NY State; pay what you wish on Fridays 6-8 PM, 170 Central Park West between 76th and 77th Streets
- Dedicated to the woodworking and sculptures of Japanese-American artist Isamu Noguchi. Pay what you wish on the first Friday of every month. 9-01 33rd Road at Vernon Blvd., Long Island City
- There’s good karma here at displays dedicated to the arts and crafts of the Himalayas. Free on Fridays 6-10 PM, including for the K2 lounge often featuring live music, 150 West 17th St., between Sixth and Seventh Avenues.
- 20th century and contemporary American art including Hopper and Warhol. Pay what you wish on Fridays 6- PM, 945 Madison Avenue at 45th St.
- Exhibits on the culture and history of Jews in the US and worldwide. Free on Fridays 11 AM to 2:30 PM (also on Mondays and Wednesdays). 15 West 16th Street, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.
Follow NYC on the Cheap on Twitter @nyccheap
Like NYC on the Cheap on Facebook
Follow us on Pinterest
Subscribe to a FREE daily email and also get giveaways available only to NYCOTC subscribers