No, this is not a TV reality show. It’s a series of lectures about some of the most important and influential women in history, with the tantalizing title of Real Housewives of the Bible. Eve, Delilah, Bathsheba, Ruth and Esther are just a few of the ladies you’ll meet in this lecture series by biblical scholars.
The Real Housewives of the Bible series is on nine Tuesdays, starting tomorrow, Feb. 9th, at the Skirball Center at Temple Emanuel. Attend one, attend them all.
You don’t have to be Jewish to appreciate how these women of the Old Testament managed to make their mark against staggering odds. Through their hopes and dreams, disappointments and successes, loves and losses, they represent nearly all aspects of the human condition. They are the archetype of the mother who knows best and the original authors of every lesson learned.
Even though their stories unfolded thousands of years ago, there is much that is timely and relevant to today’s world, and much to be gleaned from these remarkable women.
These matriarchs span a wide range of anthropological experiences and come from various social strata. Regardless of her fate, each woman has much to teach us about biblical times, human nature and Judaism itself. By learning their life stories, we enrich our own
- February 9: Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum, Hagar
- February 16: Rabbi Barry Schwartz, Bathsheba
- February 23: Rabbi Elliot Cosgrove, Eve
- March 1: Rabbi Rachel Ain, Rebecca
- March 8: Rabba Yaffa Epstein, Ruth
- March 15: Dr. Norman Cohen, Miriam
- March 22: Rabbi Allison Tick Brill, Esther
- March 29: Dr. Diane M. Sharon, Tamar
- April 5: Dr. David Kraemer, Delilah
It’s $25 per lecture, or $99 for all nine. Click here to register.