Save the date to take the subway to Japan, and enjoy all things Japanese in Grand Central Terminal, including FREE tastings, cultural performances and the chance to win a free vacation. Japan Week 2015 in NYC is Feb. 18-20.
This is the fourth annual Japan Week event at GCT, with FREE exhibits and tastings, demonstrations of traditional folk art, and the chance to win a vacation to Japan, including round-trip airfare from Delta..
This year’s Japan Week includes an exhibition on the new Hokuriku Shinkansen high-speed bullet train, a “depachika” food emporium with sweets from regions across Japan, and the display of an extravagant wedding kimono.
Japan Week 2015 takes over Vanderbilt Hall Feb. 18-20. Here’s what else to expect:
- A Delta Air Lines sweepstakes offers 20 free round-trip tickets to Tokyo’s Narita Airport from JFK. You can also enter the sweepstakes online
- Performances by the Takafuji Dance Company, a tea ceremony with tea master Souheki Mori, and luxury wedding kimonos modeled by a different New York couple each day.
- The Depachika Food Emporium featuring sweets from nine regions across Japan and samples of authentic Japanese eats, including ramen noodles, mazemen noodles, miso soup, green tea, tofu, and takoyaki octopus balls.
- The Visit Japan Booth offers guides to castles, hot springs, and destinations throughout Japan – with a special focus on the remote Hokuriku region.
- Pose for a photo in samurai armor or with Doraemon, one of Japan’s most popular characters, and travel agencies will provide discounted tourism packages and advice.
- A Sake Bar, curated by the Japan Sake and Sochu Makers Association, featuring sake from more than 15 breweries across Japan.
- Exhibits by various Japanese organizations and brands, including NHK, Sun Noodle, Sharp and Sheiko.
Hours for Japan Week 2015 in Grand Central Terminal are:
- Feb. 18, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Feb. 19, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Feb. 20, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.