Take the subway to Japan, and enjoy all things Japanese in Grand Central Terminal. The annual Japan Week NYC spotlights Japanese food and culture and will make you hungry to travel to Japan. There are FREE exhibits, demonstrations of traditional folk art, and the chance to win round-trip airfare to Japan from Delta Air Lines.
Japan Week 2014 takes over Vanderbilt Hall tomorrow through Friday. Here’s part of what you can enjoy, FREE:
- A 100-year-old Taisho-themed bar featuring servers dressed in traditional garb serving exclusive sake from different regions of Japan
- An artist of amezaiku, the traditional Japanese folk art of sculpting candy into a variety of shapes, including rabbits, turtles, birds and more out of sugar.
- A virtual reality tour of an ancient Sakai City tomb
- Displays of Japanese organizations and brands, including Azuma Foods, JR East, Nikka Whisky, Sharp, Seiko watches and TAKUMI JAPAN.
- Additional sweepstakes offered online at Japanweek.us
Japan Week also commemorates the Tokyo Station’s “sister station” relationship with Grand Central, as the Japan Station is celebrating its Centennial this year, one year after Grand Central Terminal’s 100th anniversary.
Hours for Japan Week 2014 in GCT are 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Thusday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday, and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday.
Japan Week NYC overlaps with Japanese Restaurant Week NYC. See the recent NYCOTC posting with details about participating restaurants and dishes offered.