The Schomburg Center for Research Black Culture is presenting three days of FREE screenings honoring and remembering Nelson Mandela, today through Thursday. The screenings include documentaries and original TV coverage of Mandela’s visit to New York City in the 1990s, plus continuous live coverage today from South Africa today of the Nelson Mandela memorial service and events that follow it.
There are no reservations, and seating is on a first come, first served basis. The Schomburg, of course, is a branch of the New York Public Library system, across the street from the 135th St. stop of the 2 or 3 trains. Event website
- A Tribute to Nelson Mandela: SABC TV Live Coverage at 10 a.m. – Continuous live coverage of events following the passing of former South African president Nelson Mandela
- New York Hotline “Mandela in New York” (89 minutes) at 2 p.m.
- Positively Black “Mandela’s Big Apple Visit” (31 minutes) at 3:30 p.m.
- Remember Mandela! A Personal Portrait of the World’s Most Famous Political Prisoner (31 minutes) at Noon
- Mandela and de Klerk (114 minutes) at 1 p.m.
- Twelve Disciples of Nelson Mandela (73 minutes) at 3 p.m.
- Positively Black “Mandela’s Big Apple Visit” (31 minutes) at 4:30 p.m.
Thursday, December 12
- New York Hotline “Mandela in New York” (89 minutes) at Noon
- Positively Black “Mandela’s Big Apple Visit” (31 minutes) at 1:30 p.m.
- Mandela (135 minutes) at 2:30 p.m.
EXPIRED, Sorry, this deal or event is no longer available.