- Astor Place Festival – a street fair between Lafayette St. and Broadway, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sun to Stars Festival of Music, Dance and Culture – Performances of South Asian music and dance, plus art workshops for children to make sun prints and images of the Hindu god Ganesh. In Stuyvesant Cove Park, 23rd St. and the East River, from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. The event is sponsored by Solar One, a non-profit group which promotes environmental education.
- 25th Anniversary EcoFest in Times Square – learn how to save the environment and the green in your wallet. Full details on an NYCOTC post earlier this week.
- Amsterdam Avenue Fair – a street fair between 79th and 86th Streets, noon to 5 p.m.
- Pakistan Independence Day Parade – bands and dancers march down Madison Avenue, from 38th to 27th Streets, beginning at noon
- Battle of Brooklyn Commemoration – This important Revolutionary War battle is being re-enacted at Green-Wood Cemetery, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There is also a ticketed reception starting at 5 p.m. at Old Stone House, 336 Third St., Park Slope ($15 per person)
- Festival de las Floras – annual celebration of Colombian artts and crafts, on Central Park West between 97th and 107th Steets, noon to 6 p.m.
Find more FREE weekend events in NYC in this NYCOTC posting earlier this week. Be cheap and have fun in NYC.