NYC has opened dozens of emergency evacuation shelters throughout the city. Here is the list of warm, dry places where you can wait out Hurricane Sandy, in Queens and Staten Island if you are stranded.
- Queens College, 65-30 Kissena Blvd.; Queensborough Community College, at 222-05 56th Ave.;
- York College, at 94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd.;
- Grover Cleveland High School, at 21-27 Himrod St.; I.S. 217, 85-05 144 St.;
- Belmont Racetrack, Hempstead Turnpike and Cross Island Parkway; John Adams High School, at 101 Rockaway Blvd.;
- P.S. 136, at 201-15 115 Ave.; P.S. 19, at 98-02 Roosevelt Ave.; I.S. 74, at 61-15 Oceania St.;
- J.H.S. 185, 147-26 25 Drive, Bayside High School, 32-24 Corp. Kennedy Blvd.,
- Forest Hills High School, 67-01 110 St.; P.S. 175, 64-35 102 St.; William C. Bryant High School, 48-10 31 Ave.; P.S. 20, at 142-30 Barclay Ave.;
- Newcomers High School, at 28-01 21st Ave.; P.S. 166, 33-09 35 Ave.; Newtown High School, 48-01 90 St.; Flushing High School, at 35-01 Union St.; Hillcrest High School, at 160-05 Highland Ave.; and
- Aviation High School; 45-30 36 St., Astoria
Staten Island —
- P.S. 80, at 715 Ocean Terrace; I.S. 51, at 20 Houston St.;
- Curtis High School, 105 Hamilton Ave.;
- Tottenville High School, 100 Luten Ave.;
- Susan E. Wagner High School, at 1200 Manor Road.
Check the official New York City government hurricane website page for additional information on evacuation zones and which shelter is you should head to.
Thanks to DNAInfo for publishing this list.