School might not be in session, but science class is in session, and parents are invited. Science on the River is a day-long festival on Pier 84 on Saturday, August 18th, with kid-friendly, parent-pleasing activities to help kids have fun with science-oriented crafts projects and experiments.
The day is sponsored by a collection of New York City museums, environmental centers and recycling services. Science on the River festival is 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., and here’s what’s on tap —
- Children’s Museum of the Arts: “Recycled” crafts and digital animation workshop
- Hudson River Sloop Clearwater: Dock tours
- Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum: Estuary lessons
- Lamont-Doherty – Columbia University Earth Observatory: River-core explorations
- : A bird of prey Experience
- Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies: Water quality monitoring
- NYC Audubon: Bird monitoring in NYC
- Sims Municipal Recycling: Recyclarium
- Bash the Trash: Live music and building instruments out of recycled materials
- Floating the Apple: Boat building workshop
- Hudson River Park Trust: Nine Education and Environment Dept. activities
Find more free family-friendly summer activities on the NYCOTC Summer Outdoors Calendar page.