Join NYC on the Cheap’s Evelyn Kanter at Eco-Chic Boutique, a special event celebrating Earth Day and Earth Week in New York City. Eco-Chic Boutique is Thursday, April 19, from 6-8 p.m., at Kimpton’s The Muse New York hotel. I’m joining a group of local eco-minded working moms who are designers and producers of must-have organic skin care and food products, and accessories and jewelry fashioned from organic and recycled materials. I’ll be autographing my book, Peaceful Places NYC, the most comprehensive NYC guidebook about the best quiet, tranquil and eco-friendly places in all five boroughs. Eco-Chic Boutique has a suggested donation of $15, which benefits the New York Restoration Project. That’s the a non-profit organization founded by another working mom, entertainment superstar Bette Midler, dedicated to transforming open spaces in under-served parts of NYC to create a greener, more sustainable, more livable city. The Muse Hotel is at 130 West 46th St.
Participating designers and producers at Eco-Chic Boutique include:
- Bayberry Naturals — all-natural skin and hair care products for men, women and children, founded by Nancy Lidell, a mother of three
- Canopy Verde — earth-friendly handbags made with organic cotton, chrome-free leather, AZO-free embroidery, and recycled paper hangtags
- Mango Tree Fitted Bangles — created from Grade A organic mango trees in Thailand that are cut down, only after they can no longer yield fruit.
- Nashelle Jewelry — handcrafted, eco-friendly jewelry made from recycled precious metals and natural gemstones, worn by celebrities including Jessica Simpson, Rachael Ray, and Amy Adams.
- Om Aroma + Co.: Om Aroma & Co. — organic skincare line free of parabens, formaldehyde, synthetic fragrances/dyes, and chemical fillers, founded by concert pianist Angela Jia Kim.
- SKT Ceramics — Brooklyn-based pottery studio founded by artist Susannah Tisue, decorated with her original illustrations and fired with vibrant high fire glazes
- Sweet Loren’s Bakery — all natural ready-to-bake desserts, made from 100% whole grains and natural sweeteners, and no dairy products or preservatives.
- Wendy Fung Calligraphy — customized calligraphy and hand-letting, wedding and paper goods from recycled papers.
BTW — Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants, which operates boutique hotels and restaurants in more than two dozen cities from NY to San Francisco, has one of the best environmental programs in the hotel industry