posted by Evelyn Kanter
The New York City street fair and block party season gets under way in full this weekend, with festivities all over town. Here’s a partial list, to help you plan your Big Apple weekend. These outdoor events are usually 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 6 p.m., and all are held rain or shine. Let’s all hope for shine.
The 38th Annual Ninth Avenue International Food Festival — Nibble your way around the world, with delicious bites from the international restaurants of Ninth Avenue, plus other top chefs, are the star here. Simply, this is one of the biggest — and best tasting — street fairs of the year, with more than 200 food, arts and crafts vendors. On Ninth Avenue — of course — between 42nd and 57th Streets. There’s a children’s pavillion — fancy word for a big tent — with activities such as face painting and arts and crafts. Plus live music performances by artists and bands representing the international flavor of Ninth Avenue. Saturday and Sunday, May 14th and 15th. Best of all, profits from the festival stay in the neighborhood to support local community programs, scholarship, children’s programs, activities for seniors and holiday giveaways to needy families and neighborhood churches. So you are eating good food for a good cause.
Saturday, May 14th –
- Second Avenue Festival, between East 14th and East 4th Streets
- Graham Avenue Fiesta, Graham Ave. between Boerum St. and Broadway, Boerum Hill, Brooklyn
- Children of The World Festival, on Sixth Avenue, between 42nd St. and 56th Street.
Sunday, May 15th —
- Gramercy Park Neighborhood Festival, on Broadway, between 17th and 23rd Street
- Fabulous 5th Avenue Festival, on Fifth Avenue between the Washington Square Arch and 12th Street
- Ecuadorean Flower Parade, on Central Park West, between 106th and 96th Streets