The annual City of Water Day celebrates waterfront areas throughout the New York City area, including New Jersey, Westchester and Long Island. There are hundreds of FREE familly-friendly events on Saturday, July 14th, from Governors Island to Yonkers, including tugboat tours, kayaking instruction, even an open swim in a protected area of the Hudson River. Here’s a sample — click here for the complete schedule .
- Governors Island — Boat cruises, fireboat tours, arts and crafts and music concerts
- Manhattan — Row New York teaches a land-based rowing program, at Swindler’s Cove on the Harlem River; and tours of Pegasus tugboat, at Pier 25 on the Hudson River
- Brooklyn — Water-themed arts and crafts for kids at Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Staten Island — Kayaking at Ward’s point
- New Jersey — Open water swim in the Hudson River, in an area just north of the George Washington Bridge. Registration required.
- Yonkers — Music, arts & crafts and more at the Downtown Waterfront Esplanade